:not holding eye contact

D A Y S E V E N
ᴵᵗ'ˢ ʰᵃʳᵈ ᵗᵒ ʰᵒˡᵈ ᶜᵒᵛᵉʳˢᵃᵗⁱᵒʷⁱᵗʰ ᵖᵉᵒᵖˡᵉ ʷʰᵉʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉᵒᵗ ˢᵉᵉ ᵗʰᵉᵐ

The bonfire kept everyone around it warm, they were drinking alcohol and listening to music, all in their own little worlds.

August's heart beat quickened as she advanced towards the group, she guessed they were around the twins ages but she wasn't to be sure.

Ethan hollered over to his boys once they were in talking distance and the party turned their attention to the unofficial couple.

"Yo August!" Greeted Grayson from across the bonfire raising a hand as small wave, she nodded a little his way but kept her eyes towards the ground.

Ethan swung his body around to shield her from the eyes of the group and forced her to look in his eyes so he could speak to her but she couldn't do it.

"Mhm no" he hummed "look here" he said pointing to his own eyes "that's a bad habit"

August broke a smile just at that and shook her head, he always somehow knew how to make everything bad just...disappear.

"Would you like something to drink, sunshine?" He asked using his familiar pet name for her and she looked at the ground again blushing, but he tutted and her eyes followed up his body back to his own.

"Yes please" she smiled "anything will do" she whispered in response and he nodded, taking her hand and like promised, pulled her along with him.

He handed her a bottle. She didn't even check what was in it, she just trusted him enough to put it straight to her lips. It might've been alcoholic she didn't know, not that she'd never drank underaged she knew that Ethan had watched her knock back a whole wine bottle in one night.

Ethan introduced her to a few more people and finally they sat down upon the sand looked out onto the dark water in front of them. Ethans hand never left August's and for some reason it not only made her feel safe but also gave her,

butterflies.

"How you feeling?" He asked genuinely squeezing her hand to get her attention. August smiled and turned to the boy, she enjoyed his company and she admired the way he stuck with her even when all his friends were around.

"I'm good" she replied with another squeeze back to his hand and he didn't know what came over him but he swung his arm round the girl and playfully pulled her into his chest.

August inhaled his scent it was a mixture of almonds and coconut as well as still being boyish, it was safe that's how she'd describe it.

The wind picked up a little and August shivered at the dropped temperature, so rhythmically Ethan began to rub her arm and soon them cuddled on the sand became the most comfortable thing in the world.

August was going to say something then, mention that the hold he had upon her really meant something. That he meant something.

Funnily enough, Ethan was going to say something too. He was going to tell her that he enjoyed her company and that if he had one wish it'd be to have it forever.

Both of them had it on the tips of their tongues but were stopped in their tracks when another group of people advanced towards them on the beach.

Ethan looked anxious as they approached but August knew exactly who they were and she wasn't too happy about it either.

The group didn't notice she was there so when they picked a fight with the nearest person- which was Grayson- they didn't expect for her to save the day.

"Alright, alright Bane step down" August snapped towards the boy who was chest to chest with Grayson.

"Yo Gus, this your clan?" Bane the leader of the group questioned. He was topless and his tattoos were on show and in the wind his long hair blew.

"Yeah so step down won't you" she said and he stepped back with his hands in the air as if he was apologising.

"Alright alright I hope to see you soon, Gus" Bane smiled with a small wink which made August openly and exaggeratedly gag.

One of the boys stepped forward and met her with a small handshake and then he followed the others off of the beach.

"Thanks" Grayson smiled at the girl but her mood had significantly dropped and instead of turning back to Ethan she decided to walk off back home.