I - V

(Celeste's story continued.)

As Kurch walked away, Celeste stared down at the locket in her hand. Lips tightly pressed together, she rubbed her thumb across the image of her father. The calming sensation of this action--one she usually expected--was gone. Replaced by the anxiety that so much of her life was.

She wanted to trust that she could get through this night... but nothing about Kurch ever had the smell of trust. Just sweat, cologne, and lies. And the Lady Scar, if Celeste was being honest with herself, likely wasn't much better.

Only a week ago, when the Lady had secured a deal with Kurch to take Celeste's debt, she'd requested a quick once over of her new property. After she'd eyed Celeste up and down, she leaned in, kissed Celeste on both her cheeks, and whispered in her ear, "How long does the blade rub against the stone before it finds it's edge? We'll find out when you work for me, little dagger."

It was hard to tell whether that powerful woman wanted to free Celeste... or just fondle her.

Celeste took a breath.

Worry isn't for warriors. That's what her father would say. Get on with it, girl.

She nodded, taking a last glance at his picture before clicking the locket shut.

"One more dishonor in this inane bar," she muttered. She'd always hated preparing the creatures of Aardehn for the pleasure of Kurch's guests. This time she was preparing one for her future master. For Lady Scar. Maybe it would be different?

She took a wary step toward the pair of high doors standing before her. Gleaming with inlaid faux gold, their thick wood was dense enough to muffle the grunts, groans, and wet skin slapping sounds that happened behind them. Celeste set a reluctant shoulder to one of them and heaved it open, stepping into Kurch's most infamous space.

The seduction room.