Chapter 32 - Unwanted Hurtle

Start from the beginning

“Of course I know him.” She huffed, as if she was actually offended at the claim that she didn’t. “He’s a good guy. Shame about his leg, though.”

“Right, ma’am. We’re wondering when he’ll be back.” Dylan said. “Do you have any idea?” He gave her one of his breath-taking smiled. Alex resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He had yet to meet a female who could resist it. Then, he rethought it. Come to think of it, Shay never even batted an eye at Dylan’s constant flirting. The only thing he got from her were eye rolls.

“I’m sorry, gentleman. I haven’t seen Chris since yesterday.” She said, looking thoughtful. Then, she added, “He had visitors.”

That caught Alex’s attention. “What kind of visitors? Have you seen them here before?”

The woman shook her head. “Not really. They came around yesterday around noon. It was kind of early afternoon. They went inside for a while, then left. They were all hunky, well, except one. I think Chris played poker with them. They seemed like the type. A girl came, too. Later. They were all inside together. Then the girl left. The guys left a little while after. They had a big suitcase with them.”

A girl? A big suitcase? “Would it be big enough to fit a person?” Alex asked, his heart clenching at the thought of Kelsey being trapped inside a suitcase.

“A petite person, probably.” The woman nodded.

“Did Chris go anywhere after that?” Dylan asked.

Again, she shook her head. “I haven’t seen him come out of his house. Come to think of it, he hasn’t even picked up his paper yet. He usually wakes up pretty early.”

“Thank you ma’am.” Alex said.

“No problem.” She said, smiling. Her eyes stayed focused on Dylan. “It’s an honor being able to help the people who protect us.” Then, worry appeared on her face. “Is something wrong?” She asked. “Did Chris do something wrong?”

“We can’t say anything, ma’am. It’s confidential.” Alex said.

“I understand.” She said, looking a little disappointed. After that, Alex and Dylan quickly made their way towards their car. Alex pondered over the woman’s words. According to the woman, the people arrived before Kelsey did. According to what Lance told Alex, Chris was supposedly alone when Kelsey visited him. Maybe he didn’t see the car these guys came in? Maybe they moved it? The woman didn’t say.

But according to her, Kelsey supposedly left first. It was probably Kara. Then, Lance would have followed her. After he was gone, the guys left the house, with a large suitcase. That was probably how they got Kelsey out. But was it big enough to fit Kelsey?

What if Kelsey was still here, inside of Chris’s house? Maybe that’s why he didn’t answer the door, or why he didn’t come out. He had to have been keeping watch on Kelsey. That was the only explanation. That also meant that Alex didn’t have any time to waste. He had to get Kelsey out go there. That meant that he needed to go inside.

He didn’t have time to waste.

“We have to get inside that house.” Alex said, once they were across the street. “Maybe Chris is keeping Kelsey captive in there? That’s why he refuses to open the door or answer his phone.”

“Are you sure?” Dylan asked. He didn’t seem concerned about Alex anymore. Probably because what the woman said implied that there was something weird happening here. For truly the first time in his life, Alex understood the phrase “twin trouble.” Nothing had ever complicated him like this on any case he’d ever had to solve before.