chapter twenty seven

Hunter was out on tour, his calls proving how much he'd missed the road. He sounded happy, complete. I was sitting in his condo, Kadence and a wedding planner at the kitchen table, pictures surrounding us.

I was fast at planning, never wanting to wait long to complete a project. We'd been planning constantly. I was exhausted, knowing I wasn't sleeping enough. But, the wedding was set in the fall after Hunter's fourth studio album released, leaving me a few short months to finish everything.

We packed up snippets and clips of paper, pinning them all in a folder. I hugged my wedding planner Isabelle, wishing her a good week ahead before I shut the door.

I took a deep breath, sliding down to the floor. Kadence fell onto the couch, "Breaks from school are supposed to be relaxing and you've exhausted me. I blame you for my current misery."

I laughed to myself, "I'll take the blame."

I could hear my phone ringing, knowing it was still in the kitchen on the table.

"Not it," Kadence mumbled, rolling onto her stomach. I groaned, pushing myself off the floor.

I picked up the phone, answering before I looked at who was calling.

"Hello," I muttered, my exhaustion showing through my voice.

"Are you that unexcited to hear from me?" His laughter warmed my heart.

"No, no," I said, the words falling from my mouth quickly, jumbling together, "We've been doing so much wedding planning. It's crazy."

"That's all the fans ask about, all the interviews ask about. Everyone seems pretty excited about our engagement. Did you finally decide on a venue? I need to make sure the paparazzi has no idea where it is and when it is."

I smiled, loving that he wanted our wedding small and quiet, just like I did.

"We're narrowing it down. I needed to talk with you over the venues for that reason actually." I pushed a piece of hair behind my ear. I could hear someone walking around. I head the door close. Kadence must have left, too tired to say goodbye. She did that often, telling me years ago that she wasn't into goodbyes.

"You should tell me about it now! I want to be a part of this!"

I sighed, "I'm too tired. Plus, there are pictures and you're all the way in Florida. When you're home, we'll talk, promise."

I waited for him to say something, hearing nothing.

"Start talking then."

His voice was loud and present. I lifted my head up, a squeal falling from my mouth, "OH MY GOD!"

I ran to him, flinging my arms around him as he spun me around, hugging me tightly.

I cupped his face in my hands, "Oh my god how are you here!? You've got a show tomorrow!"

Kadence walked into the kitchen, giving Hunter a wave. I realized the door closing was Hunter and not Kadence. She opened our fridge, taking a Coca-Cola, giving me a small smile as she headed back into the living room, the noise of our television pouring into the kitchen.

Hunter leaned his head against mine, "I flew here, just for a few hours. I have to leave at one in the morning but," he paused, looking at his watch, "That gives us seven hours together."

A wide smile broke out on my face, hugging him tighter. My heart felt like it was overflowing with happiness. I'd missed him more than he knew. Three weeks without him was too much. He didn't pull away, letting me stay wrapped in his embrace.