chapter twenty-two //

Chapter Twenty Two

        I got up early, slipping out of his room. He made last night perfect so I wanted to return the favor.

        I began mixing up pancake batter, adding blueberries into the mix. yummy. 

        "Oooo, breakfast."

        I turned, seeing his sleepy figure emerge from the hallway. His hair was a mess and he hadn’t bothered to put a shirt on yet.

        "I was hoping you’d sleep a little longer and let me wake you up with a surprise."

        He smiled, “I heard you trying to sneak out. I gave you a fifteen minute head start.”

        I laughed as he grabbed plates from his cabinets.

        He sat his phone on the counter, wrapping his arms around me, “Let me flip the pancake,” he said quickly.

        I let out a loud laugh, “What are you, six? Or do you think I’ll mess it up?”

        He grinned, “It’s a little of both.”

        I shook my head, chuckling under my breath. I handed him the spatula, letting him flip the huge pancake.

        I turned his phone on, placing it back on the counter. Thirty seconds later, the buzzing was constant. He glanced over, following my eyes to his phone. His screen displayed message after message and twelve missed phone calls.

        He slid the pancake on a plate as I poured more batter into the pan. A minute later, we were both sitting at his table eating pancakes.

        "These are very very good. Please make these every single morning," he said, giving me a kiss on the cheek. He opened his message app, clicking on the first one. We sorted through them together, finding some from his band, complaining that he should have told them that he found me and got me back. One was from his new publicist, a simple happy emoji. I decided to like her. He clicked on the attached articles in her message.

        There we were on perezhilton.com, people.com, countryweekly.com, cmt.com. We were everywhere. Perez had many photos of us in the bar, dancing closely, Hunter’s lips on my neck. I blushed, Hunter letting out a long whistle, “We look hot.”

        I laughed, eyes scanning over the article.

        "Hunter Hayes seems to have found his former lover in a club last night. Looks like he’s won her over with some sexy kissing!" I laughed, enjoying the fact that they think we reconnected in a bar.

        Hunter closed the article, clicking on the people.com link in his messages.

        He laughed, reading the headline out loud, “Hunter Hayes and former flame, Aspen Allard reunite in Nashville bar.” There was a picture of us dancing. All the pictures were poor quality, taken from people in the club. Paparazzi didn’t exist in Nashville, something I was thankful for.

        I took his phone, reading the article, “Hunter Hayes seems to be reunited with his former lover, Aspen Allard. The pair dated last year but seemed to part ways after a tragic accident on Hayes summer tour. Hayes is now on a break from tour and should be back on the road in the fall.”

        I glanced up at Hunter, his face blank, waiting for my reaction.

        I smiled, not caring that we covered the online articles this morning, “We do look pretty hot, huh?”