chapter twenty-eight

"

"Mom!" I ran up to her, pulling her in a huge hug. She half hugged me, seeming completely calm unlike her voice on the phone an hour before.

"How is he?"

She patted my back, "They said he'd be fine."

I let out a breath I'd been holding, wondering what could have caused my father's massive heart attack. I voiced the question but, my mother refused to answer, shrugging as if she didn't know. I sighed, anger boiling up inside me.

After two hours, we went back to his room. The hospital walls reminded me of the last time I was in a hospital. I pushed the thoughts of Hunter's injury out of my head. But, his words and pain from that day kept creeping back into my head.

"Hey Dad."

He gave me a nod of his head, looking at my mother, "So, you finally show up when your Dad almost kicks the bucket."

I wanted to yell, call them out for everything that they'd done over the years.

"Don't pretend like you want anything to do with me. Remember last year," I said, looking at both of my parents, "I called you, crying and telling you about everything that had happened. Hunter got stabbed. You didn't care at all. You were glad I ended things with him. I'm engaged now!" I held out my hand, "And I love him and I know you don't approve of anything I've ever done in my life. You wanted me to grow up and stay in the small town in Tennessee and live that small town life and marry right out of high school. I'm not that girl and if you made me feel welcome for even one second, maybe I'd visit Dad."

He glared at me, saying nothing.

My mother spoke up, "Aspen, sit down. Don't talk to us like that."

I sighed, sitting in the chair beside my mom, wanting to leave. I couldn't help wanting to stir up more trouble.

"So you finally drank enough," I said, looking at my Dad.

My mom drew in a breath, offended, "Aspen, stop it."

I rolled my eyes, "Call me tomorrow. I'm glad you're alright Dad. When you no longer think of me as a huge mistake and disappointment, let me know."

I walked out, speeding down the highway and toward the airport. I called Hunter, "Hold your plane," I said, hanging up before he could ask me anything.

I ran through the airport, rushing out to the runway. I ran up his plane steps, throwing my bag in a seat.

Hunter hesitated before speaking, "Aspen, babe," he pushed my hair back, "Are you okay?"

I shook my head, "No, my parents just, they," I stopped speaking, shaking my head.

He began rubbing my shoulders, "Hey, tell me."

I sat down in the seat, letting Hunter tell his pilot to take off. My eyelids felt heavy, my body exhausted, my heart hurting. I'd never talked about my parents with Hunter, choosing to leave them out of my life.

"My parents," I started, leaning my head back against the seat, "They have always told me since I was little that I was a mistake. They've never agreed with my life choices or supported them. They don't like you, they didn't even care when you got hurt last year. They resent me for not being the small town girl they wanted."

Hunter kept running his hands through my hair, holding me close to him.

"I don't even want them at our wedding," I said, burying my face in his shoulder, "My dad and my mom, they both won't admit that he's a drunk. He's an old, mean, washed up drunk. His drinking caused his heart attack today. He drank all my childhood," I mumbled.

"He never," Hunter said quietly, "hit you or anything, right?"

I shook my head, "No, no. Not a physically mean drunk, just angry and loud. He was drunk every night. He yelled, he screamed. He treats everyone like dirt and my mom has always just laid down and took it. As a kid, it was really hard to be around."

I felt his hand on top of mine, "I'm so sorry Aspen."

"I feel bad for fighting with my parents after something like that," I mumbled, "I just, I hated living with that."

We fell silent, sleep invading my mind quickly.

——

I was awoken with a nudge, the plane window showing palm trees in the distance.

"Kinda forgot that I randomly hopped on a flight to Florida with you," I mumbled. He smiled, kissing my forehead.

He was already up, grabbing bags. He was used to naps and being awoken at odd hours of the day. I was not. I pulled my hair into a bun, remembering that Florida meant people, fans and pictures. I sighed, knowing it was better than another argument with my parents.

Once again, I felt like a bad person for fighting with my parents, never visiting them and never calling. I'd felt like a bad daughter throughout my childhood for wanting a different life than them. I buried my face in my hands, wiping sleep out of my eyes.

"I wish I could stay and talk but, I've got soundcheck. You're welcome to watch."

I could see that he was trying to smile wider, make me happier. I nodded, following him into the arena, hoping music would pull me out of my funk. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I pulled it out, answering it before I glanced at who was calling.

"Hello."

"Hi, Aspen," my mother's voice was sharp and angry.

"Mom, I'm sorry but, you know everything I said last night was true."

She was silent, "The doctors told me your father has a large risk for another heart attack if he keeps up his current lifestyle."

Her use of "current lifestyle" made me angry. She wanted me back at the hospital, waiting for my father to be cleared.

"I can't come. I'm in Florida."

I heard her sigh, "Of course you are." She hung up, leaving me with my own thoughts. Hunter climbed on stage, his band breaking into covers as they adjusted sound. I sat down in the sixth row, seeing Hunter's eyes watching mine, paying more attention to me than soundcheck.

"Aspen," Hunter said after a few minutes, his voice echoing through the arena, "Get up here."

I laughed, unable to protest as his band waved me on stage. He began plucking out the melody of "It Ain't Yours To Throw Away," his clear voice ringing out loud and clear. I grabbed a guitar, plucking and swaying along with him.

"Sing with me," he said as he plucked the melody out.

"I can't sing," I said, continuing to follow his playing.

He laughed, the microphone picking up the beautiful tone, "I don't care."

I rolled my eyes, singing the chorus with him, letting him pull me into a source of familiarity.

"What if you're just a vessel and god gave you something special," I sang, leaning into his microphone with him, my voice better for harmony than solos.

I let him finish the chorus as I picked up lead guitar, letting him stand and sing. I gave the guitar one last strum, hearing some claps from his band with words of encouragement. I blushed, leaning into Hunter, "I love you, you know that, right?"

My words came through the microphone, earning a loving sigh from his crew.

"Yeah, I know," he said, leaning his head on top of mine, "I love you too."

I glanced at the ring on my finger knowing he would accept my flaws from the past and the ones I made now no matter what.

"

THIS STORY IS ALMOST OVER, IM SO EMOTIONAL