I think that person deserved a physical token of appreciation.

"Sarah!" I practically squealed from the elevator. A blonde head popped out from a cubicle directly at the opposite end of the walkway.

"Haley!" She screamed my way. She didn't even have time to get up from her seat before I was already halfway down to her, sprinting in my rain boots. 

Once I reached her, we shrieked and go in for a well-awaited embrace.

"Oh, I'm glad to see you!" She said. After we let go, she examined me. "You've gotten prettier since the last time I saw you!"

"Considering the last time you saw me I was an emotional wreck, I think any look would have been better than that," I jokingly rolled my eyes.

"How have you been? I haven't heard from you and I miss you around here," She squeezed my shoulders.

"I'm sorry I never called you back. I received your calls and e-mails but I wasn't...stable enough to talk to anyone at the time," I winced.

She waved this off. "You know, I understand. I just wish I had an idea of how you were holding up because I got asked a million questions about you and had no answers! I told them all to shut the hell up and leave me alone."

I laughed at this. "That was the right thing to do. I'm doing much better now. Actually a lot better now, thanks to you!"

She blushed when I squeeze her hand. "Oh, stop it."

"Sarah," I said in a scolding way. "Don't even try to be modest about what you did. The New Yorker? Do you know how many people apply there and don't get in?"

"You're not one of them because you deserve to be there," She answered, staring the truth into me. "You worked hard and it showed through your articles. Just because you had a moment of humanity doesn't take that all away."

I pulled her in for another hug. "Thank you. I don't think I deserve it at all, but thank you."

She leaned back. "Now who's being modest?"

I let go and laughed. "Sarah, I don't know how to show you how much I appreciate what you've done for me."

She held my hands in hers. "Work hard and do a good job there. I want to see your name on every main article. I know you'll do great."

I smiled wide. "You're the best."

"What have you been up to since the Gala?"

"Besides getting my life back together? Trying to get my life back together."

She went into a bubbly laugh. "Hey, once you figure out how to do that, let me know."

"I don't think I'll ever figure that out. How has work at Forward been?"

"Busier now that you're gone," She shook her head. "I haven't had time to find a replacement - not that anyone could ever replace you."

"Oh stop," I shoved her shoulder softly. "I'm sure you'll find someone who is better than me."

"Fingers crossed. It's been uptight here ever since you left. Mister Chester occasionally comes by to make sure things are running smoothly," She glanced around wearily. 

"Still? Nate told me he was keeping an eye on this floor but I thought by now he'd loosen up."

"You talked to Nate?" Her eyes widened. "When? What happened?"

I nodded. "A couple months back. It wasn't anything dramatic. We decided to stay friends and move on. It's for the best."

She rubbed my shoulder. "It's unfortunate what happened. I didn't even know about you two! I would have never suspected it."

"We did a pretty good job of hiding things. Not as good as we thought, though, now that I think about it. I'm just glad the hard part is over and done with, and we can move on with our lives."

She smiled. "How mature of you."

"Sarah, do you have the pictures from the shoot? We need final touches on the layout of the spread."

I turned to find one of the editors from another department staring at Sarah, completely disregarding my existence.

Typical.

"Yeah, I'll head over there in a second," She nodded and waved the editor off. "Sorry, hon. Work has been non-stop around here.

"I get it. Go! You're needed!"

She grabbed a few things from her desk. "I'm happy you passed by here today."

I sighed and gave her another smile. "Thank you, again. You don't know how much it means to me."

"Don't mention it," She winked. "Keep in touch okay? Let's have lunch sometime soon, I want to hear about everything!" Sarah gives me one last squeeze before following the editor.

"Bye, Sarah," I waved at her, smiling.

I started walking behind them, ready to hop on the elevator back down to my life, but I stopped. 

I turned around one last time.

I took a quick glance at Nate's office. He wasn't there, but I could see visions of him sitting behind his desk with my former intern self staring at him, completely mesmerized by his presence.

Even though it should be a sad moment, all I can think about was how happy we were with each other. The thought of us, two complete strangers, transforming into this beautiful but complicated relationship, and eventually dwindling back down to friends. When I blinked, I see our past selves laughing together at his desk and it made my heart glad. We had a great time.

My eyes glazed over to my former desk that was still sitting next to Sarah's cubicle. It was empty, but I could feel it vibrate with life. I saw the Haley I once was, perched in that seat, hunched over her laptop typing furiously with pencils sticking out of the top of the ballerina bun on her head.

She looked up at me, and I was staring at the reflection of the person I once was. There's Haley, new intern at Forward magazine. Her eyes were filled with light and hope for the future. She saw me, what her future would be. And she smiled.

I smiled back.

She knew that she'd be okay in the end and that whatever happens after the article she was currently writing, everything would be just fine.

She knew that I was happy, because I was. Even though I never imagined that what would happen over the course of these seven months would even be possible, I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be. 

Author's Note: WAAAAAAAAH. YES. WE CAN ALL GO CRY IN A CORNER NOW BECAUSE THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M DOING. IT'S SAD. IT'S SO SAD. GOODBYE HALEY. GOODBYE FORWARD. GOODBYE MITV.

LET ME JUST CRY INTO A BOWL OF ROCKY ROAD ICE CREAM NOW.