Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The double issue had finally been published and from the way the journalists and managers were cheerily laughing in their cubicles, you could physically see the weight lifted off everyone's shoulders. We could breathe a bit lighter and sleep a bit easier at night knowing our hard work was in the hands of the millions of people that had bought copies of our blood, sweat, and tears.

The six page photo spread that Nate had taken command of was the definition of perfection. Instead of the glitter and smoke, the models had simmered down into natural and fresh faces. Without the distracting trees and bushes, there was comfort to the eyes seeing the models tangled in white linen sheets at what was supposed to represent their 'home'. It felt comforting and relaxing.

I'd like to take some credit for pushing Nate and getting this concept out in the issue. I knew that all I had merely done was grace him with a reality check he obviously needed but the outcome was bigger than expected.

Doing some personal reflection on the past week, I noticed that I had been going through the motions day to day without really feeling anything. Everyone was already working on their articles for the next November issue while also gathering all the supplies and data needed to run a smooth EPAA Gala. In the mornings, I had become Sarah's personal coffee intern, which was expected to have happened sooner than later, and in the afternoons, I'd come home a walking zombie. I had lost interest in going out over the weekends and usually spent those two free days catching up on sleep and work that I had planned out for the following week.

I hadn't held a real conversation with any of the interns in awhile, and Nate managed to ignore me ever since I basically canceled our date that was supposed to be later tonight. I had no energy to even deal with the feelings that were pulling at my heart. I didn't like this game of tug-of-war that was hard to escape so I decided to shut the world out and focus on work.

Since my next assignment was to interview an intern from one of the other magazines at Chester Publications, I knew that I'd be aiming for the fifteenth floor. It was home to Mayhem, the urban music magazine that exposed underground, indie, and up-and-coming bands, artists, and musicians of all genres to mainstream. I was a subscriber of the magazine and because of it, I had dozens of playlists made up of solid music. It was almost meant to be.

As I stepped out of the elevator, onto the red-carpeted floors of Mayhem, and instantly, I knew I was going to love it here. There were vinyl covers plastered on every wall, including the cubicles. The sharp edges of broken records dangled from the ceiling hanging from guitar strings that were clipped and pasted onto the ceilings with guitar picks. A soft melody was polluting the air but creating a relaxing aura in the room. Not to mention, everyone was either dressed in jeans or cargo shorts complimented by hi-tops or flip-flops. It was insane to think we all worked in the same building.

"Can I help you?"

A girl with lavender colored hair and pastel blue lipstick approached me with a wide grin on her face. Her cheeks were as pink as a cherubs and the yellow daisy printed dress she wore brought out the hazel in her eyes.

For the first time in my life, I actually towered over someone. She was in a pair of flats while I decided to wear wedges today. I looked down at her (again, a first for me) and smiled.

"I'm Haley, the intern from forward. I'm supposed to be interviewing one of the interns here. Her name is Queenie," I explained to her.

"Oh, that'd be me!" She raised her hand excitedly. "It's great to meet you. I've been dying to go visit your floor. I hear you guys have killer view of Manhattan."

I shrugged. "It's hard to see it from my tiny desk surrounded by cubicles."

"Ugh," She rolled her eyes. "That sounds terrible. At least we get to decorate ours here. They don't let you up there?"