Chapter Twelve

Charlotte

Winter is now almost over, a month has gone by and me and Eli are at a weird phase. We do cute things that couples would possibly do, but then I get all nervous and he gets nervous and things go awkward for a while. I mean Eli is the sweetest guy I have ever met, no joke.  Even though he was a ‘ladies man’ back in high school, his daughters have most definitely changed him. Tonight my family, his family and a couple others were doing a dinner because of a big hockey game going on. Either way I get to see Elijah tonight, on a Friday. I quickly grabbed my light wash pair of jeans, black bootie heels, and a pink short sleeve that hangs low on my back. I also had straightened my hair, added black eyeliner, a layer of mascara gotten my nails a shimmery gold, and nude lipstick. “I’m not going all out am I?” I asked aloud and turned to my best friend.

Jane shook her head laughing at me. “I can’t believe you are even asking me this.” She stood up grabbing her purse, and standing in front of me. “I can’t even believe you have feeling for mr. man whore. But you say he’s changed, and I believe you. You look awesome darling.” She told me, her eyes staring right into mine.

“Thank you. I should probably head over to my mom’s now. Thank you Jane for coming over.”

“You’re welcome Char. It’s always a blast to live in the past. I felt like we were high schoolers again getting all worked up over this cute guy and all.” We both laughed walking down the stairs as she went a little slower than me.

“You’re about to pop Jane. How you feeling?”

“Seven months today, and boy do I need a back and foot massage.”

“Of course get Billy to do that for you? Anyway hop in I will bring you home.”

“I can’t get Billy to do anything. But I can get him to pick me up you should go to your all star dinner.”

“Oh no no.” I scolded her. “I’m bringing you home. Jam sesh here we come.” I yelled hopping into my car Jane coming in after me rolling her eyes at my stubbornness. Half an hour later I pulled up into my moms driveway, Eli’s car was parked off to the side as well as two others.  Once I got out of my car I heard the creek of the front door, man that thing is still squeaking? “CHAR!” Her voice was full of joy as her feet pattered along the driveway bringing her body to meet up with me. I engulfed Gracie into my arms hugging her tight. “Hey Grace.” I said while smiled down at her as we walked inside together. “Sorry I couldn’t see you  this week.”

“It’s okay but I missed you. Can we hang out this weekend?”

“Absolutely.” I said as we reached the doorway. I took off my coat placing it on the coat rack on top of Eli’s, as a smile appeared on my lips. I heard a round of laughter coming from the living room, so I followed the sound and saw my mom and dad in a conversation with their friends. Eli was helping Isabella out with a toy as Gracie went up to her. “Here Bella, it goes like that.” And with a swift movement of her wrists Gracie had fixed the barbie dolls shoe. Eli inwardly sighed, trying not to show his daughter how hard that was. I laughed and walked to his mini couch and sat beside him. The two girls ran off to Emma in Gracie’s room, while Eli smiled at me. “That hard huh?” I asked raising an eyebrow smiling at him.

“Kind of yea.” He said with a laugh.  “How was your day Char?”

“Quite brutal.   Trying to help kids put on their dolls clothes and all.”

“Yea yea make fun of me all you want. It’s not easy for a guy.”

“Trust me, it take me a while too. The clothes are like parent proof.” Eli came out with a hard throaty laugh making me blush and laugh softly along with him.