Chapter Three

Elijah

The clock read 4:15 as I sighed. I should have left 5 minutes ago but no. I was held in this dumb meeting on a couple cases. I wanted to ask my girls how there day was, see their beautiful faces, and smiles. I sighed as this person rambled on for a couple more minutes with this presentation. The point in this presentation was our standings with other firms in the state, country and world. My firm did have a few international cases. This meeting though, I don’t think I had to be here. I groaned standing up as everyone looked at me. "I need to go get my daughters, Mr. Butler," I said looking over at my second hand running this business. He was my best friend, yet I had to address him by his last name. "Bring me up to speed tomorrow. Good night." I said picking up my briefcase and driving off to my mothers house. Once I got there I saw lights on in the kitchen as I walked in taking my shoes off and walking to the kitchen hearing music and singing. The sweet smell of chocolate and the heat of the oven made it obvious that cookies were being made. I smiled at the scene taking a picture as Em saw me and smiled big. "DADDY!" She yelled out running to me as I smiled back taking her into my arms. I then heard another shuffle as I felt another little body squeeze into my arms. I hugged Bella and kissed her head standing up with her in my arms, my other hand holding Em's hand. "What were you guys cooking?" I asked even though the flour was spread all over their mini aprons my mom kept for them. Bella smiled big at me squirming out of my arms as she lead me to the stove showing me the double chocolate chip cookies. I smiled ruffling her hair a little bit turning around seeing Em by the kitchen doorway. I walked up to her picking her up and holding her in my arms and walked over. "You help Em?" I asked as she nodded pointing at the batch shaped like E's. I smiled picking one up taking a bite. "You did good, Bella are yours the I's?" She nodded excitedly as I chuckled. I finished the cookie as my mom packed half of them.

"Alright girls, go put your shoes and jackets on please." I set Em down as they both left to the doorway to put on there stuff. I walked up to my mom as she packed some for us and her. "How was school?"

"Miss Charlotte," I looked at her as she said Charlotte. Miss Charlotte? Charlotte? I nodded as she continued. "Says Em, is a little shy, and Isabella is getting all the friends, you should do something about that Elijah. Em is bashful, you should help her come out of her shell if no one is noticing her." I looked at my mom in shock.

"Em." I murmered with sadness wondering how I didn’t know this. I ran a hand over my face. "I'll help her mom, promise." I said kissing her cheek, "Bye, see you tomorrow morning." I walked over to the doorway seeing the girl zip up their light jackets, as I smiled slipping on my shoes. I took there hands into mine as I asked Em to carry the cookies. I got them both into the car as I pulled away and onto the road. "What do we want for dinner tonight Em?" I asked seeing her shrug her shoulders. Isabella chimed in with "Sloppy Joes!" as I looked at Em. "You want that too Em?" She shook her head whispering "Mac and Cheese." I nodded smiling. "Mac and cheese it is!" I said smiling looking at the road and then at Em who was smiling out the window. I had to help her break that shell that surrounds her, she must feel so hurt when Bella gets everything. Once I got home I let the girls watch cartoons as I started up the mac and cheese. I let the water boil as I ran up the stairs changing out of my suit and into a pair of basketball shorts and a loose shirt. I got back downstairs adding the noodles and stirring them occasionally. Once they were done I drained the water adding the cheese and a splash of milk letting the cheese melt. Once It was done I split into three bowls giving me a tad more than the girls. I set it on the coffee table in front of them as they knelt down on the floor starting to eat as I took a spoonful. “Dad you are a really great chef.” Bella called out. I chuckled thanking her and seeing Em take a big bite.

“What do you think Em?”

“It’s great.” She spluttered out as I laughed, calming down before I took another bite.