38

• CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT •
»—————«

Morning light seeps in through the curtains and dances over my face, rousing me out of sleep. Although my limbs feel heavy, my mind is lighter. The silence is harmonious, it truly is a luxury to wake up to this everyday. No cursing or crying, embraced by warmth and reveling in the peace dawn brings.

I blink rapidly to let my eyes adjust to the surroundings. This place isn't my room, nor is it my house, and I'd recognize that scent anywhere. With a turn of my head, I'm greeted with loose, wild curls to the face. I notice an arm draped over my stomach and sense the steady rhythm of gentle breathing against my chest.

Kendra sleeps soundly in my arms, our bodies nested under a thick blanket. I love the couch because it gives us every excuse to be near one another, but now my muscles are static and start to cramp after hours of laying in the same position.

But I don't really mind when the first thing I wake up to is an angel. Her face is relaxed, hair a crown around her head. I weave my fingers in her curls and glide them through, earning a soft sigh from her sweet lips. I lean closer and kiss her forehead. I feed in as much as I can in moments like these because the world is at a standstill and she's my driving force. A portrait of innocence, I seem to recall all the reasons why I fell in love with her.

Her tawny skin is warm and tender pressed into mine, our body heat mingling. It makes a beautiful contrast – one so cold and one so hot. My eyes sweep over her features, crafted by the creator himself for such perfection to exist. And it's all mine. Kendra Moore is my own.

I kiss her again, and this time on her lips. She stirs momentarily before she crosses a leg over both of mine, then settles back into sleep.

Our night flashes in snapshots of scorching passion and love, unlike anything we've ever done before. I can still taste the stardust on her lips and see constellations in her deep eyes. We loved each other as though we would never love again. Love wasn't even the right word. It fell short last night and will only ever fall short of how my heart ignites in her presence.

"I love you," I whisper close to her ear.

Her long lashes flutter and eyes slowly open. She squints at the light in the living room, a million thoughts rushing through her mind, projected on her face as she sorts them out. Finally, she sees me.

"Why'd you wake me up, Beau? I was sleeping so well."

"Well, good morning to you too." I don't try to smile; it comes naturally when I'm around her.

Kendra groans and pulls the blanket over her head. "Go back to sleep, baby. I'm not getting up yet."

"But I'm already awake."

"Then it's your loss," she shifts on her side, taking some of the heat with her. "Goodnight."

"Kendra."

"What?"

"Have you always been this grumpy in the morning?"

She doesn't answer. Her breathing falls into rhythm again. "I'm lonely."

My lips are alighted on the nape of her neck, trailing lower to the start of her spine. I feel her shudder and it's hard to differentiate it from the shivers I get from being this close, but when she turns around, frowning, I grin.

"Nice to see you again, beautiful," I chastely peck her mouth. "How'd you sleep?"

I manage to drag a smile out of her. "Okay, I guess. Better than I had in a while."