CHAPTER 64- THE CHOSEN ONE

Start from the beginning

Adding on, she said, "Besides, I don't need your words to let me know that you're truly sorry." She explained, "Sorry is nothing. The real apology comes when you can look in their eyes and see they hurt themselves just as much. And every time I look into your eyes, I see it. I feel it."

Jayden's sincere gaze rested on hers as he murmured, "Thank you for everything, Kira."

Kira responded by leaning in and placing a chaste kiss on his forehead. He closed his eyes and appreciated her warm gesture. Her friendship was all he could ever ask for.

She withdrew from him and informed, "I'll go get Lara now." She knew he was unaware that she had begun to catch feelings for him, the matured renewed version of him, but she also knew deep down that they were better off as good friends. From today onwards, their friendship would only strengthen, blossoming into that exquisite flower in the land of the bland.

He nodded appreciatively, watching as she walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

Kira held a special place in his heart. No one could ever replace it. His awakening had opened his eyes to several things, but the most important being that life was worth living. Bad experiences were inevitable, but maybe they happened so people could share their stories with others and impact their lives in ways they had never thought possible.

He would live his life and share his story to inspire others who went through similar situations.

In a few seconds, Lara pushed open the door. She laid eyes on Jayden whose eyes had found hers as well.

She immediately rushed to his side and crushed him in a bone-crushing hug.

"Ow," he chuckled as he hugged her back.

"It was really hard," she agonised after pulling out from the embrace.

"Lara," his voice soothed.

"You don't understand how much. I know we aren't together anymore but... the thought of losing you for good... I just-"

He assured, "I'm here. I'm not going anytime soon."

"Promise?" she begged, "When I realised I could lose you at any point in time, I nearly went mad. You mean so much to me, Jayden, I realised how much when you were lying in that bed, unmoving. Everything we've been through replayed in my mind, and I just couldn't let you go. I couldn't," she sobbed.

"I'm here," he repeated, joining his hand with hers and squeezing reassuringly, "I'm not going anytime soon."

She softly squeezed back, "That's good."

She had missed him, dearly. No matter what had happened between them, he was still the man she loved. Some of her actions in the past had not been a good representation of her love for him, but she was ready to rectify it all. Naivety had shed off her skin when Jayden had been left bedridden. This man was a pure gem and she couldn't understand why she hadn't realised it until now. She was ready to restart with him, to treat him like the gem he was, just like he had treated her. She was ready to make things right only if he'd allow it.

She informed, "D'you know that you'd been in the coma for two weeks?"

"Two weeks?" he was surprised. It felt like a day.

"Yeah. Your parents had just left the hospital for home this morning after staying at the hospital all night. They left a couple of minutes before you woke up. But they've been informed of your awakening so they're on their way back."

Jayden nodded.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, hand still in his, she asked, "How are you feeling?"