chapter thirty - determined

Heavenly bliss consumes me

Heavenly bliss consumes me. Golden uplifting spirits surround me. Happiness glides through my veins as my body comes back into its surroundings. Slow, even breaths of air soothe my chest as my eyes remain shut, unwilling to open, scared of real life shattering the serenity that my mind and body are currently entrapped in.

My arms tighten around Alex's waist as her long blonde hair tickles the bottom of my chin. I can hear her giggles as I groan, realizing she's been talking to me and I haven't been listening. Peeking one eye open I'm greeted by the sight of Alex lying on my chest, a grin stretched across her gorgeous face as she looks up at me. Blue eyes entice me to open both of mine and when I look at her, blinking slowly, my ears play catch-up with my eyes.

"You haven't been listening have you?" Alex asks.

Rolling us over so that my head lays on her chest, I groan and shut my eyes. "It's too early to do anything."

"It's eleven in the morning and we haven't had breakfast yet. We need to eat." Alex murmurs, playing with my hair.

"We went to bed at three am. We've got excuses." I grunt, my voice muffled.

Alex's silence confuses me so I look up to see her cheeks flushed, a daring look across her face. "That was your fault."

"Included both of us, though. You were happy to comply." I defend, any reserves that I usually have blocked by my brain's inability to think stuff through when I've just woken up.

Alex scoffs and pushes my shoulders. Rolling over so we lie shoulder to shoulder, I grab her hand in mine as she talks. "Hope you enjoyed it because that's all you're getting if you're just going to rub it in my face."

Even against my morning mood, a quite laugh passes my lips as I kiss the back of her hand. Turning my head to look at her I discover her already there, watching me. Heat across my chest spreads and I find myself tightening my hand around hers as the need to take her into my arms for the foreseeable future becomes consuming.

"I'll treasure every moment." I nod, shutting my eyes again.

I hear Alex laugh again and feel her sit up on the bed. "I forgot how sassy you are in the morning. I think you're forgetting who you're dealing with. Watch yourself."

I grab her wrist to stop her from completely getting out of bed. She lands on top of my chest with an oomph and I sigh, besotted with the woman in my arms. Tilting her chin upwards so she can see me, I lay a kiss onto her lips. A soft one that probably affects me more than her, so I pull away after a few indulgent moments, grappling with control.

"I love you." I murmur.

"I love you, too. Even though you just changed the subject, I know what you're doing, Williams."

Holding my hands up in surrender, Alex laughs before getting up. Our day together remains inside of her apartment. We watch a film and throw our healthy eating out of the window when we make meals suitable for kings. After taking a nap and winning a board game I feel so content that all I need is a dinner together to complete the happy day.