chapter sixteen - work

Tension coated every bone in my body, licking my bones with its cold, unrelenting claws of anticipation

Tension coated every bone in my body, licking my bones with its cold, unrelenting claws of anticipation. The air was thick around me, clinging to every my fibre and making my surroundings hot. I knew that they were waiting for me, waiting for me to step out so that they could get the photos they were desperate for. Craving for.

I gave them what they wanted, I had no choice.

Pushing the sleek black door away from the car, the opening allows a flurry of noise to make its way through the gap. Muttering a thank you to Mr Walden, I get out of the car and stand to my full height, relying on all six foot and two inches of me to carry me through the crowd. I tilt my head in acknowledgement at one of the bodyguards but keep my head down for the rest of my short walk. It doesn't stop the questions, though.

"Are you and Alexandria a couple?"

"What's happening with your family?"

"Over here, Theo!"

"Why are you not active on social media?"

The questions are shot at me but as soon as I'm inside of the door, I let out a breath of relief at the silence that greets me. Finally. I trudge my way up the stairs, making my way to hair and make-up.

"You made it! Happy last day of filming." Joanne, my make-up and hair artist, sequels. She makes her way around to me and envelopes me in a hug .

"Just about. The paps out there are manic." I say, as we ease away from our hug.

"I know, I don't know how you do it. Back door entrance perks." Joanne says, gesturing me into the usual seat.

"Stupid management making us come in the front." I grumble, rolling my eyes.

I get a huff from Joanne and a harsh tap on the shoulder from her make-up brush that she's holding. Joanne is like my on-set Aunt or something, so her annoyance at my words is expected - I like to wind her up and vice versa.

"But you've made it through! Another season done, well done you." She sings, looking through her stuff.

"Thank god, I need a break." I laugh.

"Well, we've already been renewed, so you better be in high spirits for the next season." She teases, beginning to put make-up under my eyes.

She's trying to hide the dark circles from staying up late talking to Alex. Dark circles that are totally worth it.

"Do you ever sleep?" She asks, dabbing under my eyes as I screw them shut.

"Always. I'm sleeping right now." I laugh, lulling my head to the side.

"Oh, be quiet. You've only got like what, two scenes today?" She says.

I right myself back up but keep my eyes shut as I grin. "Yep, shortest day ever."