chapter five - friends

My anticipation for the night ahead got me through the day

My anticipation for the night ahead got me through the day. My head remained half conscious of the work I was doing, the other half dreaming about what tonight could bring. I desperately tried not to get too excited, fearful of feeling let down, but Clara's text the night before reignited the child-like excitement in me whenever I read it.

Clara: Hope you've got a dress sorted because tomorrow night is going to be one to remember! You can thank Noah and I later ;)

Confusion swept over me at her statement and it didn't ease when Theo said he got a similar text from Noah. Although this reassured me as I knew whatever was going to happen was going to include Theo and that makes most situations better, if I'm being perfectly honest.

I nod in agreement as another cast member delivers their final lines, bringing my muddled thoughts to a close. Knowing I need to concentrate, I bring myself back to the present to do my own last lines. It's the last scene of the day, so the relief when the director yells cut is astronomical.

Shooting is fun, acting is fun - the excitement and build-up of adrenaline I get from it is what keeps the passion I have for it burning. But there's downfalls and consequences to the job and one of them is the exhaustion that comes with it. The day off I had a couple of days ago was not enough and yet again, I feel exhausted.

But as the crew around me claps with celebration that the long day is finally over, I beam back at the people who smile at me. Changing back into my own clothes, I take off my make-up and tie my hair back. Wanting to make a swift exit, I practically run to the back entrance of the stage so that I can get in a car quickly.

Pulling out my phone, I hit on Theo's contact and he answers within three rings.

"Hey, gorgeous." He says and I can almost sense his smile through his phone.

"Hi." I whisper, letting my head fall back as I relax to the sound of his voice.

"You done for the day? Excited for tonight?" He asks.

"Yes and I don't know what to be excited for because I don't know what's happening. Have you found out yet?"

"No, but Noah keeps acting smug about it, so I'm scared for our lives."

I let out a laugh before answering, "Don't be so stupid. I'm just scared they're going to put us at risk."

"I know." Theo sighs. "Surely not, I'm sure it'll be fine."

"Hopefully, god what if they sign us up for bungee jumping or something?" I laugh, before noticing the car beginning to slow down. "Right, I have to go but I'll see you tonight."

"Can't wait. I love you." He says, his words causing my heart to flutter - butterflies in my stomach making me feel like he's just said I love you for the first time.

"I love you, too." I say back, biting my lip.

Paying the driver, because I don't have one hired, I make my way out and walk into my little bubble of clam. High up in the quieter streets of New York, I fell in love with my apartment the first time I saw it. Now two years later, it feels like my own heaven.