A Girl's Gotta Do What A Girl's Gotta Do

Start from the beginning

Very focused now.

Huffing in air, I head into the employees only room. It’s around one, so she might’ve taken her break. I can check that by going over to the little punch out thing that tells you how many hours you’ve worked. I’ve never liked this thing. Even when I started working here, I never liked it. 

One time, I went to punch out, and it shocked me.

Yes, it shocked me.

Don’t ask me why, ask the punch out machine. 

I type in a code that can show me whose punched out for lunch breaks. Harley…Harley…Harley…ah! Found her!

She punched out at…1:22.

My eyes snap to the digital clock next to the machine. 1:26.

That sends a wave of relief crashing into me. Louis, not yet, at least, doesn’t have her. I whirl around, wondering where to check next. Maybe she’s in her room.

I dash out of there, only to stop about five feet into the lobby. Reece is over next to the counter, asking a question to the girl that works there. What if he’s asking about Harley…

As fast as I can, I ski over there, right between him and the desk. “Hello there!”

Reece steps back a few feet, surprised at what I did. I take that time to whirl around and mouth to the girl, “Stall him.”

She winks at me, and that’s how I know she has my back. “Mister…?”

“Reece,” Reece answers, still looking at my grin.

“I think I have some perfect places for you to visit around the island. So many people come here to visit our sandy beaches and…”

Ah. That should hold him for a while. Sandy, the girl whose working the desk right now, has very good social skills. She can talk for hours if she wanted to. I dash over to the stairs and run up them. The elevator isn’t fast enough for a time like this.

SUPERMAN TO THE RESCUE!

I don’t feel like superman.

Maybe it’s because I don’t have an ‘S’ on my shirt.

I wanna fly like he does…

Damn Edward. He should switch me powers.

Do super heroes have pets?

You know, like dogs? Or cats?

I wonder what Spiderman’s pet would be…

Maybe an iguana. Yeah.

FOCUS ON HARLEY!

On it.

I pass my room and come to a stop at hers. I bang on the door, praying she’s inside. “Harley, are you in there?”

There’s some shuffling going on in there, but it all pauses at my voice. Then someone curses under their breath. “Who is it?”

“Bart, let me in!”

She quickly unlocks her door and pulls me in. Then she proceeds to lock her door and push her dresser in front of the door. Amazed at how quickly she did that, I watch her as she opens all the draws. “Here, help me. Start shoving as many rocks as you can into the draws.”

I look onto her bed to see lots of heavy rocks and mini boulders. “Harley, why -”

“Bart, dammit, just do it!” She yells.

I nod quietly, grabbing ten rocks and shoving them into the top drawer. She sighs and shuts the blinds on her windows. Next to the rocks are her clothes, which she’s packing into a suit case. A sight that makes me very nervous. “What are you doing?”

“Packing.”

“Why?”

“Because…I’m…leaving. The job is…it’s not…paying enough for me.”

I pause in throwing rocks into the draws. “Then what’s with the rock thing that I’m doing now?”

She closes her eyes and sighs. “I’m running away from some really bad guys that are following me, alright?”

“I know, I saw them. Why do they want you Harley?”

She keeps packing as she talks. “Because they think I escaped prison, but I didn’t. I never did. I wasn’t even in prison before. It’s all my damn sister’s fault. They think I’m her, but I’m not. I need to get away from here, Bart!”

I nod slowly, packing some more rocks into the third draw. “So…it was your sister that escaped prison? Not you?”

“No. She did some bad things a couple years back.”

“Where is she now?”

“Nobody knows,” She shrugs, sounding like she’s exhausted from running. She’s probably been all over the world, staying away from these guys. “But I’m going to find her. Whether she likes it or not. And I’m going to turn her ass into jail.”

“I’ll help,” I offer.

“No,” She shoots at me. “You are not going to come into my screwed up life. This is between my sister, me, and the-” She pauses, looks at me, then continues packing, “- the police.”

I gotta ask. I have to. “Harley, are you a vampire?”

If she’s not, she’s going to think I’m insane.

But if she is…

I don’t know.