59 The Dress

Serenity

With all the wedding planning under way it was time I start to look at dresses. I didn't want anything big, I'm just a simple book worm after all. I wouldn't want a ball gown or a mermaid or one of the fancy ones where you can pretty much ride on its train. This wedding should encase Kris and I's relationship and it's nothing big and grand. He's not showy and I'm not either. But I still want to find a dress and know deep down that I was meant to be married in it.

So I grab my mom and Kris' mom and one of my good childhood friends and we head out to the city. We find a bridal shop and start to get ideas for my dress and the bridesmaid dresses. We were doing a rose gold and gold themed wedding because that's like what my ring looked like and it was very elegant. So we knew that much, but anything after that is all still up in the air.

"Honestly you would look good in anything" Kris' mom Sue says and is start to blush.

"I don't know about that" I insist as I look at some of these dresses. Some of them were pretty out there and I could never do it justice.

"I'm serious. I feel like you could pull anything off" she insists.

"Well that's very sweet of you, thank you. I just hope I pick out the right one. The one that no matter how many other dresses I see I'll still be thinking about that one. The one that every time I put it on it feels right" I sigh.

"We'll find you your dress" she promises as she rests her hand on my shoulder. I smile up to her as I nod my head. I sure hope we can.

So we pick out a few dresses for me to try on and I get into a dressing room. I try each one on and they were all so beautiful, but none of them felt like the one I should wear when I walk down the isle. So we go and find a few more and like every time before, I liked them but didn't love them. I wanted something that was simple yet beautiful and it was kind of hard to find something not so over the top. It might be because this place we were in had high end dresses, who knows?

I start to get defeated and think that today just might not be the day. We didn't have a lot of time but I didn't want to get a dress because I felt like I had to. I wanted one I knew I belonged in. So I start to head to the door when I stop.

I see this beautiful dress hanging up in the corner by itself and I walk over to it. I hold it out and I couldn't keep the smile off my face, it was so pretty. I haven't seen any other dress like it in here and I loved the way it looked.

I was pretty self conscious about my size. I've always been really petite and people tell me "you need some meat on your bones." Trust me, I know, I look sickly at times. I hate it more than anyone else does. So picking out a dress was hard because they're always too big for me, being this small is kinda how it's always been thanks to my medication and inability to do much physical stuff. But this dress was full yet simple and I loved it.

"You ready to go" my friend Cara asks.

"Actually... I want to try on one more" I insist.

"Really? That's the one you want to try on" she questions. I invited her to be my little fashion consultant but I was going over her head on this one.

"Yup" I say picking it up.

So I bring it to the back and slip out of the clothes I had on now. I look in the mirror and the smile was immediate.

It wasn't big or flowy or sparkly or anything crazy

It wasn't big or flowy or sparkly or anything crazy. The lace was elegant and it covered up the scar on my chest. And although I still looked tiny I looked a bit fuller than before.

"You okay in there sweetie" my mom asks and I smile.

"Yeah, I'm coming out" I assure her.

I walk out to my friends and family as I look around. They all had these big smiles on their faces as they look me over. For once I didn't mind because I actually liked how I looked in this dress. I finally felt beautiful for once.

"Oh my, Ren. You look stunning" Cara gasps. I smile to myself as I look down.

"This dress is amazing" I admit.

"The dress is fine. But you in that dress..." my mom trails off.

"Do you guys like it" I wonder.

"I absolutely love it, but that doesn't matter" Sue insists. "All that maters is if you see yourself getting married in this dress."

I let out a sigh as I ponder the question. But it doesn't take long before my lips pull tight into a big smile. "I do" I admit.

"I think you look absolutely beautiful" my mom agrees.

"Thanks momma. I really do love this dress" I admit.

"Is it the one" she wonders.

"Yeah, I think it is" I admit.

"Aww this is so great! I'm happy for you" Sue insists.

I pull her into a big hug because I needed it. She wraps her arms around me and I felt like this perfect little moment made it all the better.

So I purchase the dress and my mom takes it so Kris doesn't try to sneak a peak. I wanted it to be a surprise for him and I hope he loves it as much as I do. Once that was all taken care of us girls decide to find some place for dinner. We told the boys we would be out all day planning for the wedding but I was pooped and they were hungry so we stop for food.

"So now what? You got your dress then what happens" my mom wonders.

"I'm not sure. We have the Cubs convention then a few days between that and spring training. We'll be out in Arizona for a while so a lot of it's going to have to get done there" I insist.

"Your doctor said it's okay to go there for a month and a half" she questions.

"He set me up with a colleague to watch over me there. If he finds anything off at all I'm on my way back here" I promise.

"I feel like you're going off to college all over again" my mom says as her eyes get glassy.

"No! We're not doing this again. Do not cry" I tell her as I feel my tears start to rise.

"Alright alright, I'll wait until you're gone" she teases.

"Thank you" I smile.