46 Old Friends

Serenity

During our stay in Vegas Kris shows me around the place that molded him for the greatest portion of his life. I learn that there was so much more than the strip to this place. There was a beautiful community that surprisingly enough was inspiring me in my writing.

I was almost done with writing my book, but there was still a way to go. Coming here wasn't supposed to help with the book but I'm not complaining that it did. There was a lot of love in this city and I was obsessed with it. You find out a lot about yourself when there's so much to do that spikes your interests. The things you didn't know if you would like you end up loving.

As for today I get to meet one of Kris' good friends who is also from here and plays in the mlb. His name is Bryce Harper and he plays out in Washington. I've heard nothing but the best things about him and I was excited to get aquatinted with part of Kris' past life. Kris really seemed to like him so I knew he would be a great guy.

We meet him and his fiancé Kayla at a nice restaurant down town. As soon as we get there Kris pulls me over to his childhood friends and they hug it out. I, of course, jump in with the hugs because they're my favorite. I notice what a great looking couple they were and start to get imitated. Are all professional athletes and their significant others absolutely beautiful? How is this even possible? Maybe it's just a Vegas thing...

"Oh it is so nice to meet you. Kris has been saying nothing but the greatest things about you" Kayla insists as she lets me go. I smile big as I look up at my giant boyfriend.

"He tends to over sell me a bit" I accuse and his cheeks turn a darker shade.

"Guilty" he admits. "But it was all true. She's my little book worm" he says as he pulls me into a hug. He's lucky he's cute.

We decide to sit down at the table and order some drinks. I just order a tea and a salad because I wasn't all that hungry. I never really am but I do love a good meal and this place looked promising.

"So Ren, how are you feeling? We followed along with your story when Kris went public with your heart problems. We prayed every night that you got better" Bryce claims.

I smile to myself as I finally meet some of the angels who were looking over me. "I feel a hundred percent better than I did. I'm lucky because I had people like you who I've never even met sending me the best and I was able to pull through. And now I can help other people do that same so in a way you guys praying for me and looking out for me saves a lot of people" I admit.

"We just wanted you to be okay, both of you. I know Kris was really messed up when he went on the bereavement list and it takes a lot to rattle him. I texted him every day you were in there to see if he was okay and he wasn't. But I'm glad you made it and we can meet you" Bryce insists.

"The feeling is mutual" I smile.

We enjoy a nice meal and I hear stories of two of baseballs brightest stars growing up together. They went to different high schools and Bryce didn't even go to college. But they played travel ball together and this town isn't all that big when you get down to it. They stayed pretty good friends through this all even though their paths were wildly different and I thought that was pretty cool.

Those two end up talking a mile a minute so I talk to Kayla about things not baseball related. She was the sweetest person I've met in the baseball world and so very funny. I thoroughly enjoyed being around her and I wish we could bring them back to Chicago with us. I'm sure a lot of people did.

"Man, how I wish I could be a good baseball wife one day like you" I sigh.

But she just shakes her head as she looks at me. "We have plenty of baseball wives, we don't need another one of those. But I think everyone could benefit from having someone in this profession that wants to help people in they way you are. Or who could write in the way you do.

I know it's intimidating to be in this lifestyle. Someone always has something awful to say about Kris or about you even. I'm sure you know that. But no matter who you are they will talk, if you're being yourself then at least you're comfortable.

I know it's natural to want to fit in, but Kris didn't chose to be with you because you're like all the other girls. He chose you because you weren't the typical hockey wife. You were one of a kind and you shouldn't try to fit the mold. You should make your own" she says.

I just smile as I listen to her tell me what I needed to hear. I never tell Kris this stuff because he already worries so much. But she had some good points and I should take everything she said to the heart. "I really could use a friend like you" I admit.

"I'm here for you. Take my number and call me whenever you want" she says as she takes out her phone. She gives it to me and I punch my number in it.

"And you can call me if you want a book suggestion or when we're both in the same city and want a nice salad like this" I say.

"You guys not sticking around much longer" she wonders.

"Unfortunately no. We got our fur babies back home and Kris is still doing his workouts with his team there. So we're not here too much longer. But maybe we can have you guys come out and I can show you the house and we can do something fun" I say.

"I would love that. I've seen the reading nook at your place and I have to say I'm jealous. I would love to have a safe place like that" she admits.

"We can make some amazing things when our hearts and minds when we put them together. I'm lucky because Kris brings out the best in me and we get stuff like the nook to have to ourselves" I explain.

"I would love to see it. I think Chicago is a beautiful city and I love going there" she admits.

"Well I hope it can work out" I smile.