5 It's A Date

Serenity

Serenity is a state of being calm, peaceful, and untroubled. My mom named me this hoping that I can be the calm, the peace, the unproblematic in the world. She says that I was a miracle baby, lucky to be alive and lucky to still be living. And she said that this gift I'm given should be used for good. I shouldn't piss away a good thing because I'm scared that I'm going to get unlucky again. I would rather just stay in and read my books no matter the circumstance, but the chances are I've already read them a few times and there's nothing left for me to know. But there's plenty for me to learn out in the real world. That's what I need to branch out and knock down some of theses walls I built. See what's on the other side of them in case one day I won't be able to try and knock them down.

So I took this job hoping to kill two birds with one stone. I can get my real work experience and get paid for it too. I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited about this job. I get to see how the rich and famous live, two things I know nothing about. And Kris was a great guy, he asks the right questions and he doesn't demand that much from me. He treats me more like a friend than a assistant but I don't think he has the capabilities of being one of those entitled over bearing bosses. Doesn't even realize how much this city already loves him and how much they're going to love him. He doesn't even think like a highly touted athlete. Usually I have to pry out of him what he needed me to do but we worked pretty well together and I'm happy I got this opportunity.

"So what's on tap for today" Kris asks as I skip into his place early in the morning. He had a game today and tomorrow before he left for St. Louis and Milwaukee after that. I helped him pack so he was ready and I know he hates flying, had told me every time I mentioned it, so I put some stuff in his carry on for him to try and find his own serenity on board.

"You have to be at Wrigley at 4 so I suggest you have a late lunch so you're not too hungry before the game. I brought bagels from Panera for breakfast and got you a tall coffee from Starbucks" I explain as I set the food out in the counter for him.

He looks at the food before looking back at me and shaking his head. "You're not supposed to be spending money on me. I'm paying you to help me, not spend what you make on me" he pouts.

"Is it illegal for me to do stuff for you" I tease.

He smiles at me as he takes his bagel and drink and slides it across the counter so it's sitting in front of him. "No" he mumbles making me smile too.

"Right. And as from now until game time you're free. You can do whatever you want" I say. Usually somebody is calling for him but for once he's actually free.

"So what do you want to do" he wonders.

I look at him weird because I'm here to help him hey he keeps asking me what I'm up to or what I want to do. Seems a bit backwards if you ask me. "I'm your assist, you choose" I insist.

"I really don't see you as my assistant" he claims and I send him a smirk.

"I could tell" I tease making him laugh.

"And what does that mean" he challenges.

"It means that I know nothing about being a personal assistant but I know this" I say pointing between us, "this ain't it."

"Yeah, you're right" he sighs as he runs his fingers through his hair. "Can I be honest with you" he asks.

"I would be offended if you didn't" I admit.

He lets out a long sigh before his big blue eyes meet mine. "I like you. And I honestly do want to help you out and get you a job, not just some lame excuse for you to fall for me, but I really really like you. I think you're the coolest girl I've ever met and I love learning about you. I like having you around all the time and having one person in this city of 3 million I can trust" he explains.