Chapter 13: Creating walls and burning bridges

Magsimula sa umpisa

Dinala ako ni Nate sa guest room kung saan matutulog si Hailey. And then the argumentation began.

“Edi doon siya sa kabila. Or ako na lang ang pupunta sa kabila since siya ang prinsesa dito kaya mas okay sa kanya na may malaking kama. Easy. Problem solved.”

Medyo nag-init na ang tenga ko sa narinig ko. Princess? Seriously? I may act like a diva most of the time but I don’t intend to be treated like a royalty.

“Sige, doon ang isa sa inyo. Si Warren saan? Dito sa kwartong ‘to? Sino katabi niya? Ikaw? O si Piper?”

“Para saan pa ang kwarto mo? Oh, wait. I like your last idea. Sige, maganda ‘yan. Si Warren at si Piper ang pagtabihin natin. Now.. settled na ba lahat? Lilipat na ba ako sa isang kwarto?” She stood up and took her bag.

Malapit lapit na siyang makalabas ng kwarto nang harangan ko siya. I look at her straight in the eyes. I know na may pinagdaraanan siya but this is just too much. She’s too much.

“Nate, can you go out for a moment? We’ll just talk.”

“Pipes – “

“Go.”

Hailey look at Nate for a moment then look at me and smirked. She let go of her bag and she sat on the bed when Nate is finally out of sight. She crossed her arms and she’s staring at me blankly.

“What’s wrong with you?” She didn’t answer so I continued talking, “Do you really hate me that much? What have I ever done to you? What made you hate me so much?”

“Stop acting like you’re clueless.”

“I’m not pretending to be clueless. I’m lost, Hailey. You hate me so much. It’s like you don’t even want to share the same air I breathe. Why, Hailey? Why do you hate me – “

“It’s because you’re you! You’re Piper! You’re Piper the popular! You’re Piper that everybody loves! You’re Piper that everyone wants to get along with! You’re Piper that every girl wants to be! You’re Piper that every boy wants to be with! You’re perfect in everyone’s eyes, Piper! And I hate you for that! You could get everyone wrapped around your finger! You’re getting so much attention while I’m always left behind. I’m just like your shadow. You get everyone’s attention just by existing. Even the attention of the people I like. They’re the only people left who I thought could appreciate me, but then I realized that they like you better than me. Of course. You’re always better than me. Warren, the guy I liked, likes you. My – “

“So this all about Warren? Is it because you like him but he likes me? Oh my God, Hailey! I never thought you could be that shallow. You threw away our friendship just because the guy you like likes me? Are you for real?!”

“It’s just not about Warren, Piper! He may be one of the reasons before but it’s not all about him! The reason why I despise you is because.. it’s because..”

“Because? See. You ran out of reason, Hailey. The only reason is that – “

“I hate you because my mom loves you more than she loves me! I hate you because she appreciates you more! I hate you because when you’re there, you always made me feel so little. So little that even my own mother turned her back from me just so she could face you! I am left with nothing. You got everything while I’m left with nothing! You wouldn’t understand how I feel because you’re not in my position.”