Chapter 65: Growing up

Piper's Point of View

Everyone in the room's having fun. It's been a week since mawala ang rule. Pasimple akong lumabas ng room to spend some alone time.

I was walking in the hallway when I saw Elle. The last time I saw her was when she told us why she hates us so much. She was suspended because of what she did. It's been a week since that time.

I don't plan to greet her or kahit pansinin lang siya. Kaya lang when she stopped in front of me, napahinto na lang din ako.

"You seem happy now, huh." I didn't answer. "You know I always hated you, right? Kaya nagplaplastikan lang tayo ever since."

I nodded, "Plinastic kita at first, but as time goes by, I learned to treasure you as my friend. You were nice to me kahit na you're mean sa iba. We were together for years. Hindi ko magagawang makipagplastikan ng ganu'ng katagal. I once considered you a friend, Elle."

She smiled at me. Not that plastic or mocking smile. She smiled a genuine smile. "You were a friend, too. Honestly, you're the most real friend I had. Baka nga you're the only real friend I had. It's such a shame that that friendship came to an end."

"I wish we could be friends again, Elle, but after everything that happened, I think it's impossible for now."

"I think so, too. Who knows... maybe sa susunod. Years from now tapos nagkita pa rin tayo, maybe we can still be friends."

I smiled at her and nodded, "Maybe."

After that interaction, nagpunta ako sa likod ng school. Humiga ako sa damuhan and I enjoyed the silence. Medyo stressful ang nangyari noong mga nakaraang linggo. I deserve na magrelax.

I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep.

When I woke up may katabi na ako. Si Hunter. He's sitting beside me, his back on the tree. Umupo na rin ako and sumandal sa tree.

"You're finally awake." I nodded in response.

We're surrounded by silence. Weird but it's not an awkward silence. I don't feel uncomfortable at all.

"Nakausap ko si Mama noong nakaraan. Nag-sorry siya. Sa ngayon hindi ko siya kayang patawarin pero sinabi kong kapag nawala na ang hinanakit ko sa kaniya, kaya ko na."

It's nice to know that he finally faced his mom. He didn't run away again.

"Good to hear that."

"Tama ba ang ginawa ko?"

"I don't know. What do you think?"

"What do you think?"

"Is it important to know what I think?"

"You're important so it's important."

Okay. Now, I'm getting uncomfortable. Ayoko ng umasa. Ayoko nang paasahin ang sarili ko. I want to stop myself from thinking that I'm special, that I'm important.

"Please, Hunter, huwag mo na - "

"Sabi ko sa 'yo pinagsisisihan ko lahat ng sinabi ko sa 'yo. Totoo 'yun, Piper. Nasabi ko 'yun kasi galit ako. Alam ko hindi iyon magandang dahilan pero ayon lang talaga ang rason ko. You're important to me. Your opinion matters to me. It may sound selfish but I want you to care for me again. Okay lang makialam ka. Kung gusto mo pang pumunta ako ngayon sa mama ko gagawin ko."