Chapter 40

All things end

    Spell after spell I sent at that gate, but it never budged. I would have been impressed with how strong it was, if my whole world wasn't somewhere on the other side.
The fits of near fainting that I've been having seemed to have sped up and now I was experiencing them at least once every three minutes.
Defeated by one irritatingly solid gate, I slid down to the grass with a sigh.
We're not dead yet. There has to be a way that I can help her, even with me being so far away. I need to do something.
My eyes fell to my sleeve, where her flower was still burning ever so slightly. It was at that moment that light bulb went off. If our lives are tied together and I continuously heal myself, would that stretch across that invisible string that connected us?
I don't have anything to lose from trying. I pulled my wand from it's resting place beside my leg and pressed the tip to the middle of her flower. Here goes nothing.
I focused myself and poured healing magic into the darkened pedals.
I felt nothing at first, but slowly the feeling of having something heavy sitting on my chest started to subside. Please let this work! I need it to work!
"Come on Kayle, we've gone through worse than this. Don't you dare die on me again." I whispered to myself in hopes that somehow she'd hear me. A part of me felt foolish for thinking this could ever work, but another part of me didn't care how stupid I felt. If it would have helped save her, I wouldn't mind being the biggest idiot on the planet.
My temples began to ache from both worry and the immense focus, the constant magic use wasn't helping much either. "Please, don't let them die." Talking to myself wasn't going to help me, but with my eyes closed, I pretended that I was there in spirit, trying to encourage Kayle's stubborn nature.
A high squeal of rusty hinges made me look towards the fairy gate. It was opening on its own, but at a very slow rate. The magic around it is extremely weak, but I can't worry about that now. I bolted for the gate before it could close and thankfully too, because it slammed shut once I was.
It was like the person who stretched their magic over acres of land was fading. Did Kayle open the gate for me? Wait, no, I can't worry about this now, I've got to go!
I raced towards Oberon's castle, despite the exhaustion I felt from the over use of my mental and magical capacity. Nothing was going to stop me from going to my wife's side anymore.

     It wasn't long until I showed up at the front door and shoved it in as I entered the castle. Almost there, just a bit more. I'm so close to finding out if she's okay.
Brunhild was standing slightly back from the entrance, like she was waiting for me looking a bit worried, which only made mine worse. "What's wrong? Is Kayle okay?" A cold feeling built in my chest as panic shot through all of my muscle, making them clench uncomfortably.
"Of course, otherwise you'd be dead right now too."
That's just saying that she didn't die yet, but she could have other things wrong with her that delay death. I need a straight answer. I can't do these games anymore!
"Then why do you look worried?" I asked confused, trying to hold back the irritated tone that was threatening to unleash upon her.
She bit her lip and side glanced away from me. So, I was right? "The use of magic that she did in defense of her and your children, caused an early labor."
What?! That much strain after all that stress? Damn it!
I moved passed her and ran to the room we shared the last day we were here. I figured that's where she'd be the most comfortable, so they would take her there.
However, now isn't the time for long stories, I need to make sure that Kayle is breathing. There is also the matter of our children, are they okay too? Being born almost a month prematurely would cause them problems, right?
The room that Kayle and I stayed in the last time, had plenty of fairy people outside the door.
So, I was right, she's in there. What were they waiting on? No, not the time and frankly I really don't care, they're not my concern right now.
I pushed my way into the room, being a bit more brusque than I needed to be, but this was an emergency and I don't have time to play nice.
Salazum stood with Jade close by him. Is she was crying on his shoulder? Randolph even had his head down sorrowfully. This can't happen, it just can't. Did she make a deal to spare my life or something?
My eyes moved to the figure laying on the bed, it was Kayle obviously, but her eyes were closed and instantly I felt that all of my worries were confirmed. No, how could this have happened? I'm still alive!
I raced forward passed a couple of unicorns and moved to her side, it was only then that I realized that she was merely sleeping, not actually dead.
"Oh thank God." I whispered softly. Every muscle in my body relaxed for the first time since I felt that she was under attack. She's here, breathing peacefully and snoozing with sweat on her forehead. She looked like she's been through a couple levels of hell.
I looked down to her stomach which had drastically flatted, but didn't vanish completely. If they've been born, where- I shot the people around the room and inquiring glance, but my eyes settled on two bundles of blankets, one in Salazum's arms and the second in Randolph's. They made it too? "Everyone is okay?"
I almost didn't believe it, especially after everything. I was certain that someone would have been seriously hurt, given our track record.
Salazum laughed lightly at my shock. "All three of them are healthy. It took us awhile to stabilize Kayle, but with everyone pouring healing magic into her body, we succeed." He moved closer to me and gently moved the bundle into my arms. "You and Kayle are now the proud parents of two identical twin boys."
Boys? I almost laughed out loud. She was right, we had two boys. I'm not even upset. I'm just glad that they made it.
I locked eyes with a pair of small violet eyes. So, they have the Goldstein colored eyes? Though, his hair was unicorn white and his skin was a porcelain pale as Kayle's is. "Did she meet them too?" I aimed my question towards the room. I felt bad for holding them first if she never did.
Jade spoke softly. "Not yet, once the second one was born, she passed out from the strain, but she'll be able to meet them once she wakes up."
I nodded and looked back down to our child. I'll make it up to her. I have quite a lot to make up for once she awakens. I would never have forgiven myself if all of them died.
"He's as beautiful as his mother." I mumbled feeling overwhelmed with happiness, after such terrible worries and thoughts. Uncontrollable tears started to seep from my eyes as I gently kissed my son on the top of his head. He didn't even seem to mind them as he kept smiling up at me.
"Here, why don't we put these boys to bed and you get some rest too?You look physically and mentally exhausted. Did you run all the way here?" Oberon asked teasingly, as Salazum carefully pulled the baby from me.
My family was in danger, what else was I supposed to do, wait around like an idiot?
"Once the gate opened, yes." I admitted trying to rid the tears from my face and found it easy once I stopped thinking on what could have happened.
"The gate opened? By itself?" Hayzel asked confused. I nodded. "That's strange."
It doesn't happen usually?
Oberon chuckled in response to our puzzlement. Does he know something I don't?
"Not really. Klaus simply called on Kayle's unicorn magic and opened it. I knew I felt your magic healing her too, but I figured that I was wrong."
The tattoo of her soul flower, it actually worked? Unconsciously I pressed my hand to the wrist in question before I realized it. Oberon's eyes danced with excitement. "Ah, I thought so."
He said nothing more as he moved to leave.
Thought what? How rude to leave me with that and not explain.
"Try to get some rest. I'm sure that worrying about your family, coupled with running the whole way here was taxing." Jade said smiling at me. "She'll be fine, but I'm sure she'd be happier if she woke up to find that you're here."
I gave her a smile before kicking my shoes off. Heck, I'd feel better waking up to her safe and sound, right beside me and preferably in my arms where I can feel it if she tries to leave and I could stop her before she got too far from my reach.
Randolph looked at Kayle's sleeping face one last time and then followed Salazum and Jade, wordlessly. He looked relieved, but troubled. I hope that nothing was going to go down hill from here. Our family has gone through many trials and it barely started.
No, we'll be fine.
I unbuttoned my coat and tossed it over the nearby chair, before climbing into the bed beside her and carefully pulling her tired body to me. I doubt she gave birth on this bed, it's too clean for that, so they probably brought her here afterwards.
The curves of her body settled into mine perfectly as I held her tightly to me. Despite everything we've been through and the countless times she's told me that there would never be an "us" or that she'd never have a future, here we are, married, with two beautiful baby boys. She's everything that I've ever wanted and more. She's strong, smart, confident and beautiful inside and out, with a few snarky comments, but it only adds to her charm. She's my perfect partner.