Chapter Thirty-four

Not without her

Oberon and Salazum were gone for quite a while. It felt even longer due to the silence, but even so, Kayle was still safe. "I wonder if she's dreaming..." Randolph mumbled softly, but with the absence of any other noise it was like he spoke at a normal volume.
I looked over towards him. "Didn't they say that when she's in the deep sleep she doesn't dream?" Did he forget that or was he simply wondering in general? I'm sure she dreams outside of the coma spell. With the nightly torment she went through, I shutter to think how long it's been since she actually had a dream.
"Klaus...." My eyes moved to look down at her. It was her voice that I just heard, but she's still sleeping. How was she able to talk to me like that?
"Randolph, did you hear her speak just now?" I asked eyeing Kayle's mouth just in case she spoke again, but it simply stayed put and her voice was muted once more.
"No, she's sleeping, so obviously she can't speak." He mentioned bluntly, but sounded just as curious as I was.
The glass wand began to glow, but I seemed to be the only one who noticed it. Something about this doesn't seem right. Kayle always tried to fight by herself. Hell, I spend more than half of my time just following her around because of it. This has to be the dark magic side reaching out right? Still, what if it was really her and she needed my help?
"Don't touch that while we're not here." Salazum said catching my wrist as I reached out towards the wand. When did he walk in? "You'd be dragged into her mind without a buffer and then be as lost as she is." The safety buffer that pulled us out last time? Kayle's mind did seem unhinged, but I doubt it was that dangerous.
He let go of my wrist as I met his eyes, they looked sad and tired. "You can hear her too?"
I didn't even need him to answer, his expression was enough. "Yes, as I'm sure that Randolph, Alickzander and Hayzel can. When we connect to her mind, we touch pieces of it and she touches parts of ours. But the one whispering in our heads isn't the real Kayle. It's the dark magic. It's louder now because she's the only one left that's strong enough to take control ." That was my fault for healing the teenager side. In my defense, I didn't know that she was the only one trying to stop the bad counter part.
Randolph shook his head confused. "Wait, if that's true and she looks like she did back when she was in the other dimension, why is she still laying on the table and not making chaos somewhere?"
I know that dark magic was strong and so was the unicorn magic, but as we saw the night Erin tried to wipe Gedonelune from the map, light magic has limits. "Because our magic still binds her in a deep sleep, even if we leave the room." Oberon answered as he laid his hand down on the invisible table Kayle was lying on. "Are we ready for the next adventure inside the mind of Kayle?" Is anyone really ready to jump into someone's mind?
Salazum moved to stand in front of us. "Remember even if you see another Kayle in need of help, you must focus on the one with dark magic and only that one." My body began to move back to lay beside Kayle's body as he spoke. "Klaus, you can take her hand now."
I reached over and gently laid my hand on hers. There was an instant pull on my mind, so I closed my eyes and readied for the journey. This wasn't exactly how I wanted her to remember us, but seeing as I was the one that caused this, it's my responsibility to fix it.
When I opened my eyes, I was standing beside Randolph in the dark room that I had arrived in the first time. "This is ominous..." Randolph said softly as his eyes scanned the abyss. Imagine arriving alone.
The sound of shoes slapping the ground caught our attention just before a version of Kayle ran in. "Dad!" She yelled running over trying to hug him. Dad? The only time Kayle ever called him that was when she was being tortured by Embri. As she moved closer, I saw her true face. I forced her to stop by holding out my hand. "Klaus? What are you doing?"
Even Randolph looked at me confused. "I can see who you really are and you're not the real Kayle. I see the black lines and black eyes. You may be able to fool Randolph with some kind of spell, but not me. I'm guessing that's why you ignored me completely."
She gave a smug grin, though it was only to hide the irritation that shown in her eyes. "Not everything is about you Blondie..." Her smile widened when she saw my face turn cold. "She never loved you. She hated you. You always reminded her too much of Azusa. It's why she kept you away from her. Why she always left without you and insured that you were out of the loop. Elias knew about her before you did."
I couldn't help but laugh now. What a bunch of ridiculous lies. For one, I never tried to kill her best friend, or her. Quite the opposite in fact. "Is that the best you have? Kayle's better at the insults perhaps you should let her do it. Besides you said "she" which means that you're nothing more than the dark magic trying to break us. It's not going to work."
She gave me a challenging expression before she backed up into darkness. She finds this fun? Dark magic always loves torturing others or their host. "We'll see...." Her voice echoed around us as. She's not going to scare us with that. All she has is words and conjuring tricks. She'll need more than that.... I heard something clank before the ground beneath my feet was dragged out from under me. "Klaus!" Randolph yelled as he tried to reach out for me. This is going to hurt.