Chapter Twenty-six

An unexpected companion

         Randolph stood at the front of his desk pacing back and forth in deep thought. This wasn't exactly what any of us expected when we arrived back at Gedonelune. Then again, when has it ever been anything we expected? I'm still lost on how we even try to work this out? Randolph won't let me switch myself for Elias, but he also doesn't want one of his students in danger either. Though I can understand why he wouldn't want me to, I sure as hell wouldn't let him if he was in my shoes. Klaus stood beside Thomas and Walter as I stood across the room with Vincent, Serge and Leon. I didn't want to be in the same room as Walter, but if I had to be, I wasn't going to stand near him. He arrived rather fast after the news way magically air mailed to him. I suspect that he was already on his way after the news at Nightingale got out. "So, she's responsible for my son's kidnapping?" Walter sneered my way with more venom than a rattle snake.
I rolled my eyes at his usual banter. We get it, you hate my guts and really want to see me being executed for some made up and bogus crimes that you've said I've done. "Yes, because Azusa's not a guy with his own damn mind. While I was fighting at Nightingale with your other two sons, I twisted Azusa's arm and forced him to kidnap Elias. Get the hell off your high horse Walter. Azusa is getting away with more crap because of your blind hatred for me. Tell me, will you let it control you until Azusa kills Elias? Or will you let me help get your son back?" I snapped finally glaring back at him as angry as he looked. That's probably not the best way of going about helping, but it's no less than he deserved.
"You say that, but your dark magic is showing. How am I supposed to trust you when you look like that?" He snapped back getting both Thomas and Klaus to look at him unison.
I didn't even have to glance down at my hands to know that he was telling the truth and the black lines were showing due to my anger. "I always look like this around you because you keep attacking me everytime you're around me." I shot back with Leon moving to stand closer to me. He seems to think that he's going to push me to show a mysterious evil side that no one else has ever seen. News flash Walter, you're not the center of my world and I could really care less what you think of me.
Randolph slammed his hands down on his desk in frustration, I doubt this is easing his mind at all. Not to pull the "he started it" childish statement, but he did. "Enough Walter! Kayle has proven herself and not only to me, this school and it's students, but also to your sons' and the Minister himself." Not like that has stopped him from being a cruel jerk face before, I doubt hearing it again is going to help deflate that ego of his. It's practically swallowing the room.
Before Walter could say anything else to try to contradict Randolph both Thomas and Klaus moved away from his side and turned to stand between their dad and I. I doubt that Walter was very surprised now, being they've done this more times than I can count. "Fine, but if anything happens to Elias, I'm holding you personally responsible." He warned me with a jab of his forefinger in my direction.
Aww, are you angry because yours sons chose my side over yours again? Poor poor Walter. "Yes, because it's so much easier for you to blame me than the person actually behind the kidnapping." I replied rolling my eyes once more. A typical Walter response to anything that I'm not responsible for. I'm starting to think that I'm living in a constant loop.
Klaus moved to speak now. "Kayle also needs to visit Oberon and Salazum." I looked up at him, seeing that he was looking at Randolph pointedly. It was like he was trying to warn him with his eyes. My visiting Oberon and Salazum doesn't mean that I'm going to be given a death warrant. They may just tell me to take it easy on the magic.
A heavy sigh sounded through the room as Thomas and Walter both looked at me at the same time, though their expressions differed slightly. "Okay, but Kayle I'm not allowing you to go alone. Not while Azusa is baiting you. Take Klaus with you." Randolph sounded particularly tired and worried. He must not think that this is a simple visit.
I moved to look over at him, with my normal "I'm about to explain to you why that's a bad idea" attitude. "Elias is his brother. I'm not going to pull him off the hunt for Azusa just to accompany me. I'll be fine."
I looked over at Klaus barely catching the complex expression that passed over his features. Choosing between the brother you love and the woman you love is an almost impossible decision to make, so it's easier if I make it for him. As unfair as it seemed to do to him after all the crappy choices people made for me and only made things worse.
"You're not going to go alone." Randolph replied sharply, he has a whole school to worry about. I doubt after everything that's happened that he's happy to put me on the back burner again. Though it's not like I can really leave him with much of a choice either unfortunately.
"She's not going to. Leon and I will go with her." Vincent said quickly from behind me. I knew that I wouldn't get out of going alone, not with everyone knowing that I was leaving and if they all knew as much as Klaus does. I'm not exactly sure if this was going to end up being a good thing, or a bad one.
"No, as a knight you're trained for fighting dark magic. I'll go with her." I have never expected those words to fly out of Walter's mouth and apparently nobody else did either by the looks on their faces. It was unexpected I'll tell you that much. He probably just wants a chance to kill me himself. Heh, even if he does, he'd have Salazum to deal with afterwards. I don't think even he would survive that encounter.
"Uh, no, with how you are around her. I wouldn't be comfortable with you going with her." Randolph was quick to shoot him down, but you could tell that everyone else was about to if he hadn't.
I wasn't so happy about it and Walter may be powerful, but unfortunately he was also accurate. "No, he's right." Now all the bewildered eyes were on my face. Hmm, yes, that would be my reaction if someone else had said those words about the Goldstein boys' father. It was more amusing when even Walter was looking at me in wonder. He probably thought that I planned to murder him. It's funny, now that I think about it after everything, I never once thought about killing him. He probably has, but I'm a hundred percent sure that he wouldn't be able to. "Azusa is looking for me and he will expect you to be with me Klaus. He'd use that to his advantage. Same thing with everyone else, but if Walter goes with me and Azusa attacks us. Walter will protect himself accordingly as I will myself because we don't have the emotional attachments that I have with the rest of you." Though that is true in one aspect, he is still the father of three of my friends and a strained friend to my own father. I wouldn't let him be harmed.
Klaus and Thomas now turned to face me worriedly. "You understand that Azusa is after you specifically?" Thomas asked slowly, like I was a child. No, he is? I had no clue Mr. State-the-obvious.
Klaus remained quiet up till the moment I moved to answer his brother and then he cut across me. "No Kayle. I'm not going to let you go traipsing through the woods to the fairy kingdom, with Azusa after you and no real protection on your side." Ouch, dang. Not only for me, but also for his father as well.
I glared pointedly up into his eyes to silently convey my irritation. I could understand where he was coming from, but at the same time it was more than a little bit insulting not just to my intelligence to spot danger around me, but also to my ability to cast. "Klaus, I can protect myself and even if I personally couldn't, Alickzander and Hayzel would step in to help. With three of us against Azusa and a small mixture of dark magic that's determined to keep itself alive, which in this case means keeping me alive. Then you'd also count in your father who I'm sure is a very powerful caster himself and you've got a super powered temporary team there. Stop worrying so much and just find Elias." I could tell him not to worry as much as I wanted, but the point of fact is, is that I know he wouldn't because I wouldn't if I was him.
Forcing him to pick between Elias and I seemed more cruel than I could ever imagine, but I never put him in this position, Azusa did.
Walter now took a step forward towards his sons' backs looking as determined as ever. "I know that she's a dark magic user, but I also know how important she is to you both. As long as I don't see her doing anything that I would see as dark magic, I won't harm her, or let harm come to her." Then don't do anything to anger me Walter and you won't see anything that would come across as evil magic.
However what's not so helpful is when I breathe and you think that I'm using dark magic, so that's not very reassuring, go anybody. "She gets the dark lines around dark magic and Azusa is a dark magic wizard." Randolph jumped in with a defense. That does happen then too, it's not frequent enough for me to remember.
Walter now looked at me judging my face like it was a magical tool that he's never seen before. It kind of makes me feel like I'm an ant under a microscope. "There's still dark magic lingering here and yet I don't see any black lines."
I nodded now. Obviously he'd go to scrutinizing my features and questioning the missing evidence to back it up. "That's because of the two unicorns I carry along with dark magic, help me hide it so I don't get wrongly executed simply by association." I shot back getting a snicker from Vincent behind me. Walter knew that it was a jab at his previous actions, but made no attempt to counter or argue it. I'm not sure she or not I should be happy or worried about that, but I'm going to say that it's cause for worry.
"Kayle, this isn't going to help you two work together." Randolph mentioned in a warning tone. Work together, right... I was the one that said that Walter had the right idea about us going together. I'm suddenly regretting that comment. "However, we should proceed with our plans. We may just be able to catch Azusa before he hurts either Elias or Kayle."