Chapter seventeen

The trial part 2

                          (Another dark chapter)

       She was smart enough to stay within the woods, but close enough to the path so she wouldn't get lost on her way to nowhere. "Where is she going?" Elias's voice drifted over towards me in confusion. That is a very good question.

"In that moment... I don't think even she knew where she was going to go." Serge mentioned walking over to the group after he entered the auditorium. "She told us that she ended up in an orphanage." I wonder if he knew that we were in here, or if someone had told him. It's not that it really mattered. When the Minister himself shows up it's hard to keep that a secret.

I took note of the disappointed look that the Minister shot Walter. Probably from how bad everything ended up. I couldn't imagine what he was thinking, but I personally was thinking that I wanted to see the rest of the memories, as much as I didn't. What more could this poor child have gone through?

         Little Kayle ran as fast and as far as her legs would take her and even farther still. It was well into the night and the wolves seemed to be making her a bit nervous as she moved into a small town out of breath and extremely tired. She made it pretty far for a six year old, but she shouldn't have had to. It broke my heart to see the hardships that she had to go through and so young, by the people who've sworn to protect her. I should have protected her. She should have never even been put in this situation. My eyes couldn't help but drift over towards Kayle asleep on the table out of guilt. Seeing what I have so far, I too would be cautious of people. 

"Hey sweetie, why are you out here alone?" A new voice pulled my attention back to the memory being displayed. An older woman spoke to her kindly. She was aged by time, but not dampened by the way life had treated her. She noticed little Kayle panting hard as she passed on the street. Kayle seemed startled by the new voice and jumped slightly. The kindness in the older woman's voice brought tears into poor Kayle's eyes, but the woman seemed more troubled by her reaction than her obvious fear of grown-ups. "You look exhausted and hungry. I'll get you some food and a place to sleep." She held out her hand for Kayle to grab, but with what had happened, strangers were frightening to her and as I expected, Kayle flinched back from her. The woman's face instantly fell to a saddened expression. "Oh, my dear, alright, come with me okay?"

Not being accustomed to anything being her choice, Kayle stayed put and anxiously watched the woman like a scared cat would a dog. She even clocked the dark spots between buildings to insure that this wasn't a trap. The woman slowly began to move down the street but looked back seeing Kayle glancing around uncomfortably, though she was following her slowly keeping herself out of the woman's arm's length.

The woman led her to an inviting looking building on the edge of the town. Even with it being dark out, you could tell that it was brightly painted with the toys littering the yard and held quite a lot of children inside. The woman knocked on the door as Kayle waited at the bottom of the stairs, still glancing around as if she was worried that Delilah was going to show up at any time. "Yes?" Another woman opened the door. She also looked very nice and smiled at what seemed to be her friend.

"Hello Hope, I found this girl wandering around the edge of the town. Do you know her?" The woman motioned towards Kayle with gentle and kind eyes, which still housed immense worry within them.

Hope looked out with soft eyes, but was quick to notice Kayle's timid body language. "No, she's not from here. What happened?" I couldn't find the words to describe what happened to such a small child. Though she couldn't remember the Goldsteins' and how she was so easily casted aside by Walter, what she did remember was just as cruel.