Chapter 38

"Kayle?" The worried voice pulled me from my thoughts as my eyes stared out of the window blankly. "Where'd you go?"
I looked at my side seeing the concerned expression plastered on Klaus's face. How long has he been watching me and debating on whether to ask or not? "Sorry, I wasn't trying to be stuck in a daze for the whole train ride." I was the one wanting to go with him and yet, I've been off in my own little world. I'm being a bad hat.
The hand he had been holding onto mine since we sat down, gently squeezed reassuringly. "What's on your mind?"
Is he able to read me because of our bond or because he's been around me long enough to see all of my facial ticks? A sigh hissed out of my nose showing my frustration due to over thinking. "More than I can explain." That wasn't much of an insight but I didn't know how to properly put it into words.
His eyebrow arched as his stubborn side took the reins once again. He let go of my hand and held it up to show the wedding ring on his finger. "Do you see this? This ring means that you don't have to go through everything alone anymore. You can come to me with anything that's bothering you and I will listen with no judgement..." It's nice that he's being so kind to me, even if it has his usual sass mixed in.
"No judgement? You?" My attempt to lighten the mood only worked for a second, still he let out a little laugh and pulled me into his arms. "Yes Kayle, with no judgement, so please talk to me."
His head rested against mine as I settled into his embrace and suddenly all of my worries lightened. After everything we've gone through and how scary the vast future feels to me, I'm grateful that he's here. The entire world could go to hell and I'd still feel safe wrapped up in his arms.
I quietly inhaled to allow myself a moment to figure out the best way to put my thoughts into a vocal response. "I was just thinking about Randolph and whether knowing the truth had changed his mind about wanting to be around me."
I felt his arms tighten around me. He probably already knew what was on my mind and just wanted to confirm it. "He didn't. He came with us and I heard both him and Salazum fighting over who was your true father before Jade set them straight." I know Klaus isn't the type of person to say something like that just to make someone feel better, but I still found it hard to believe him. He must have known I would, because he kissed me on the top of my head and pulled back. The warmth I was enjoying slipped from my fingers all too soon. Did I upset him? No, he's worried, but not angry with me. "Nothing good will come from dwelling on this, especially with us heading to the Ministry."
He moved to leave the compartment. He was right. I need to let this go. It's only making me depressed and I'm even spreading it to Klaus. I need to stop this.
He sent me a kind smile before he left my sight. I'm not sure if I bothered him with talking about this or maybe he's tired of it being brought up. Let's face facts here, Erin really didn't do anything but cause more problems for us. I looked back out of the window seeing the scenery flying by. My mind feels like mush.

      It was barely a couple minutes when I heard the door open and someone walked in. However, it was the door being slammed back closed and quickly locked that drew my attention. My first thought was that I was going to be attacked, but I didn't feel a bad vibe, only confusion.
Randolph stood in the middle of the compartment and Klaus was the one who locked us in. He looked thoughtfully at Randolph and then gave me a wink when our eyes met. Ignoring our surprise he left our sight and vanished down the hall. Seriously Klaus? "Did he just lock us in here?"
I almost thought that this was funny if it wasn't sad. "It's a problem solving solution that he ripped off from Vincent." The amusement in my voice was easily heard. And here I thought that Klaus wouldn't have plagiarized someone else's actions. Then again he didn't have many choices whilst we were on a train.
Randolph looked at me rather disturbed. I nearly laughed out loud at his reaction. "Who'd Vincent lock up?"
I answered without missing a beat because I was already prepared for him to ask. "Klaus and I."
Randolph's mouth snapped shut as he sat down and I grinned. "Why doesn't that surprise me?" I tried to look playfully offended, but I laughed despite my best efforts. "Why'd he lock you two up?"
The question that leads down the rabbit hole, but Klaus won't forgive me if I didn't talk to Randolph. I just need to swallow my fear and continue. "Because Vincent thought Klaus and I needed to talk." I replied knowing that Randolph will wonder if this why Klaus repeated the gesture. "There are a few things that I need to clear up before all of us are bombarded by Ministry officials."
He tried to suppress his panic, but I could feel it. This special unicorn insight into someone's feelings is actually quite useful. "What could that be?"
I know that hesitating would prolong any of his nerves but I couldn't help having to take a moment to think on how to proceed. "Randolph I know what happened between you and Erin or at least, I know what she did to you."
I've never actually seen the color drain from someone's face before, until now. Understanding and shame turn inside him as his eyes fell to the floor. Why is he blaming himself for what she did to him? "Kayle, I don't know what you've heard, but I never wanted you to find that out. I know that you'd end up questioning if that was why I wasn't in your life."
That's what he thought I'd think? I already know why he wasn't in my life before. Did he forget that painful day? "I'm more concerned about if you still wanted to be in it." His eyes met mine with incredible speed and his mouth dropped open. He open and closed it like he was trying to make words that didn't make it to fruition. All I could feel was shock, but was that because he didn't want to be in it anymore and I brashly pointed it out? "I mean, you don't really have a reason to..." Now I feel bad for asking. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything.
"Don't say that." He whispered with his voice cracking slightly. He moved to the edge of his seat and quickly took my hands. "I have the most important reason to stay. I have you, even despite the events that lead you to being born. There has never been a day that went by that I didn't wonder how my beautiful daughter was doing, or where she was. I've never stopped wanting to be in your life. Okay?" It must have been difficult for him, especially when I used to believe that he was my brother. Going to Gedonelune certainly brought a lot of secrets to life.
I nodded which sent the tears that built in my eyes to shoot down my face. "Okay." I mulled over all of this for no reason. I really thought that I was going to lose my dad.
He gently wiped off my tears as his own shown brightly in the light. "Now my question to you is, do you want me there? I know that I haven't exactly been around much..." Was he worried about that too?
I didn't wait for him to finish before I lunged at him and hugged him. He laughed heartily as his arms wrapped around me. I felt like I was back to being that little girl who was scared of losing the only family she had. "All I've ever wanted was for you to be in my life. I don't want to lose you now that I have a future to look forward to." I sniffled as I tightened my arms around him solidifying my words.
"I'm here now my sweet little Kayle and I'm not leaving." At this moment he's not the ex headmaster of Gedonelune, he's simply my father and I, just his daughter.
I squeezed him tighter to me. "Good." Who knew that my human side had a lot of pent-up feelings about this and I started crying from happiness.