Chapter three

Another Buddy?

       The next day my prefect duties have required me to teach with Klaus, in an outside courtyard. Much to my already disapproving dismay.
I stood slightly a ways away as Klaus explained what it was that we were going to do today. It seems that we were going to be trying a tornado spell and seeing how long we can hold it for. I was included for some reason.
I however, think it's Klaus's pay back for my brusque tongue. He's going to regret wanting to force me into the lesson.
I kind of want to show off a little and force him to swallow whatever shaming he was trying to give me.
I took out my wand, getting stares because of the way it looked.
I guess, it was something to see with it being made of translucent purple glass, a silver metal strip winding up to the tip from the bottom that held an amethyst.
"So Prefect Kayle, you go first and show them how it's done, if you can." Klaus said smugly, getting my need to wipe it off his face, to hit maximum.
Hmm, I'm going make you eat those words. My bite may have power, but my magic does too. 
I gave a bitter smile and flicked my wand gently. A tornado appeared at the tip, making everyone gasp again as it touched the ground.
Klaus's smugness was replaced with surprise now. So I got my not so subtle revenge.
Yeah, watch and reap Klaus. I have just as much power as you do. So maybe you'll back off just a little bit, or is that too much to hope for? What am I even talking about? He's a Goldstein, of course it is. "You don't have to cast out loud?" Elias asked moving slightly closer from astonishment. His shock drew my attention to him, who was looking at the tornado that was doing strongly.
"Nope," I said not really bored, but just emanating the appearance of it. It was nice to have someone acknowledge my talent, even if it was twinged with torture from the knowing the truth. "It's also not the only thing I can do, but now isn't the time. The spell is "Rise O winds of fury, and unleash a vortex, Turbo Ventos" if you can't cast it without saying the words. You have to keep focused as you sustain the tornado with your magic. Lose focus and your tornado wavers, then it dissipates. Try your best to keep it going throughout the period. As a fair warning most of you will be worn out beyond belief at the end of this class. I suggest a big lunch afterwards to recharge." 
I locked eyes with Klaus for a second. Was he staring at me the whole time? I'm not a test subject so stop looking at me like I am.
I broke eye contact to see the students have begun to move back towards an open spot on the grass. As the student's began to try and cast their tornadoes, I sat down on the grass.
I should be watching over the students but I knew Klaus could handle it. He has before. Besides I too had wondered how much stronger I had gotten after everything, so I flicked my wand again forming another tornado beside the other. This is my training.
I stared at it for probably longer than was needed when the swirling air and the wind had caused me to remember about that night everything in my life had changed for the worse.
The wind made my bangs fly around madly. When I look back I wonder if I had made the right choice. Could it have ended differently....
I gave a sharp shake of my head, knocking away those thoughts before they dragged me into a dark place I had barely escaped from last time. I can't let this keep me trapped anymore. I need to let go of my guilt and anger, though that's easier said than done.
I looked up seeing everyone had been more focused on watching me than doing their tornadoes. Geez, nosy Gedonelune-ers.
I stood up feeling slightly embarrassed and side stepped my swirling cyclones, managing to not trip over them, which I take that as a personal victory. I had a surprisingly easy time keeping them going as I walked over to the students that were having a hard time casting.
It'll be better if I stop trying to think on these depressing things and focus on my job to be distracted.
I watched their stance and how they held their wands to see if I could help them correct the problem.
A few of them were trying to over due it and somehow ended up being lifted off the ground by their own tornadoes.
Some of the others weren't even trying and others were trying so hard that they kept messing up, not as bad as the select few. I remember when I first started to work with spell casting, I sucked at it. I felt like a complete waste of magical energies, but with Nightingale they forced me to be powerful and I learned how to rather quickly. I had to. I had no room for error there. They didn't allow it.
I walked beside a girl who was trying way too hard and watched her carefully.
She didn't seem confident in her magic and it failed her because she had no control over it.
"May I offer some advice?" I asked the girl who was several years younger than myself. I wan't going to ridicule her or treat her badly, I wasn't Klaus Goldstein. I really just wanted to help her.
She looked over at the two tornadoes that I was still focusing on in the back of my mind.
"I'd welcome it actually." She said kindly, but slightly intimidated. 
I moved to her side and positioned her wand in her hand. "Hold it this way. It's easier for your magic to flow from you to the wand without having to jump. Remember it's a part of you. Think of your wand like an extended finger, that's removable." She chuckled softly at my tiny joke. "Focus. Now move this foot here, and this one here." I nodded as she listened to me. "Good, now as your casting, imagine the tornado in your mind clearly, as if you had already casted it. Then pour your power into your wand, slowly so you don't tire easily, but enough where it doesn't falter. Then all that's left is confidence. If you're not confident in your magic it'll always fail you. Now try it." I backed up from her and watched as she casted the spell. It was rocky at best, but better than it had been before. "Focus, and confidence. Remember that. Come on." Sweat began to beat down her forehead as she struggled to control the tornado, but she was gradually getting better. "That's it. Good job. All you have to do is sustain it now."
I began to move throughout the students that were having a hard time of it.
Teaching the class wasn't exactly anything new to me, but this was the first time that I've seen people struggle with the simplest spell.
I noticed Klaus watching the students that were doing horribly at the beginning of the class with a kind of confusion that was lost on me.
His teaching style was more scolding than helpful, which isn't exactly helpful in most cases.
My two tornadoes remained as powerful as when I casted them as I walked over to him.
"See, I can teach the tricks I learned in my school. It's not that hard if you teach the then right way before throwing them head first into casting."
He looked over at my tornadoes, not listening to what I had just said. "You can cast two at a time?" He asked his arms still crossed; with his wand in his dominate hand.
I glanced over at them casually before looking back forward. "I can do four of these technically, but only for about ten minutes before I start to get tired." I admitted honestly. I could too. I proved it on a dare once. Ugh, I slept for almost a day and a half afterwards. "They train us hard at my school. They push us to our breaking point every time we cast. If you pass out, you'll wake up right where you passed out and then you'll continue from where you left off."
He remained silent for a moment before speaking. Maybe he was trying to find the right words to what I had said?
Granted it was more about me than I had let slip before, but this wouldn't give away my secret, so it should be alright.
"I guess that's why it always has the best casters come from it." He said uncharacteristically nice for once. Did he eat a sour grape this morning?
I looked at him confused by his unusual mannerisms. That's not why they had the best casters. That idea, was a full blown lie made up on fairy tales that had no solid ground to stand on.
However there was no reason to go into that.
I was about to look away when I noticed something pinned to his cloak glowing slightly.
"Hey, glow stick, what's up with that?"
Klaus looked down at his cloak and then back up at me, taken back. "No way." He said grumpily, yet surprised.
I looked down at my emblem, seeing it was glowing too.
You have got to be joking. There's no way this can happen.
Lights shot out of mine and Klaus's emblems' and connected before shooting up into the air.

The ball of light popped and raining down sparks on us.
A tiny celebration of my imminent demise.
I sighed dramatically to show my displeasure. "Figures, and I was so close to graduating." I turned my attention back to the students that were staring at Klaus and I in shock, with their tornadoes all but gone. "It was just a couple days here and then poof, buddy." I clicked my tongue in disappointment.
"Sorry to disappoint." Klaus said snappily, obviously offended by my reaction.
He must be upset too right? I mean, isn't he close to graduating too? It shouldn't be that far off now, or does my school push their students so we graduate early?
"Well, can't do anything about it now." I walked off to the other side of the class.
Whispers of us being buddies grew louder as I walked through the students. Seriously people?
Upon listening, they were more surprised that I had to be stuck with, what did they call him "Emperor?"
He's that bad with his teaching technique?
"I think everyone failed this class, what do you think Goldstein?"
I looked back at him seeing him nodding as his eyes scanned the group of students.
"I think so too." It was the very first kind words we had said to one another, and it was just to save face that we both hated the idea of being bound together by the buddy system.
The students quickly casted their tornadoes again, as if to fight what Klaus and I had just agreed to.
As I turned around my eyes met briefly with Klaus's before he began to look off towards the students.
Why is my luck so crappy? Why couldn't my buddy be that Randy guy? Why in the hell does it have to be Klaus?
I looked off towards the students and kept quiet on the matters of Klaus. Everyone seemed to be focusing too lightly on their tornadoes and Klaus, being who he is, scolded them for it.