chapter four

My apartment had been trashed, everything torn up and thrown all over the place. Sam stayed with me for two hours, scoping it out and making sure everything was back in its place.

Nothing of mines was taken. It just looked like someone broke in to make a mess and leave.

Sam believed it was vamp. I wasn't sure what to think.

After barely getting any sleep, I wasn't too excited to go to work. But at least I would be surrounded by people and not by myself, left alone to think of what could have broken in.

I filled Ronnie in on some of my crazy adventures from the past two-ish days.

"How is it you have all the fun on your days off?" Ronnie whined, cleaning a glass.

I scoffed. "I highly doubt getting almost killed by a vampire, and then having one break into my place 'fun', Ronnie."

"At least it's more interesting than me laying around and watching Real Housewives." She joked. "So, all of these guys work at Trapp Haus and that's how you met them?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Got my own connection which is how I was able to skip the line that usually wraps around the whole block."

"I swear I've never heard of any of them before. Are they all bartenders or something?" She asked, starting a new order.

"Um, I think some of them are." I lied. "One or two might work in the business side of the place, since they're vamps."

"I'll have to go there next human night. Colby sounds pretty hot." Ronnie smirked.

"I mean he is, but he's kinda a dick." I huffed.

"Well, all the hot ones are. Besides, he does have a soft side: he did save you."

"I guess so..."

The night moved slowly, not too many patrons on a Sunday-Monday evening. I was so happy to finally have my break, being able to step outside and get some fresh air.

I took a deep breath as I looked up into the night sky.

What the fuck had my life turn into?

I shook my head, leaning my back against the brick wall of the bar. I stared into the parking lot, my eyes fixating on the dark. Through the trees that surrounded the lot, I saw the outline of a man.

I squinted my eyes, trying to see if I was seeing things. The figured disappeared as I blinked. I relaxed a little, annoyed at my own paranoia.

Maybe I am going crazy...

I stood up and went to walk back in. As I went to open the door, I heard a low growl come from behind me.

The hair on the back of my neck shot up. I could feel a presence behind me. I didn't want to turn around, but I knew I had to. I twisted around slowly, my heartbeat speeding up faster and faster.

Nothing was behind me.

I looked around, my anxiety still at its peak. I knew I heard something; but nothing, no one, was there.

I spun back around. A man stood in front of the door. All I could see of him was his glowing red eyes and shiny fangs. He jumped forward with his hands reaching for my neck. A scream ripped from my throat.

I fell to the ground with a loud thump. He was no longer around me, I was alone once again. I scrambled back onto my feet, glancing hastily at the parking lot. I heard a dark chuckle come from the darkness. My eyes widen as I yanked the door opened and slammed it shut, locking it tight. I leaned my back against the door, trying to catch my breath.