A friend

Diya's POV

"...what she is doing in your house?..why did you marry her--did they force you?" I heard someone yelling from outside of my room, I slide on the side of the bed and shuffled for my cane.

I walked tip-toeing to the door, "mom, it's not what you think? they didn't force me. I married her with my own choice.'' Anuraag argued.

''son. listen why don't you understand? she doesn't fit in our society...she is--

''she is what mom?'' Anuraag questioned. "you can't judge until you know her. she is a nice person with an amazing personality.'' His voice felt clam.

''do you love her?'' his mom asked out of context.

''Mom—where are you going?''

Her sandals tabbed on the wooden floor, as she made her way to my room; I took a few steps away from the door frame.

''So you are that girl huh? how much money do you want to get out of my son's life? she hissed in anger and disgust.

''I-I-'' I stammered nervously.

''She can't even look me in my eyes..how pathetic''

I felt tears building up, But I somehow managed not to tear up.

''MOM, I think you should leave, You can't just come here and insult my wife.''

''MIND your tone, young man. don't forget you are talking to your mom.'' she spat in anger.

''I can say the same. I don't care what you think or anyone, in particular, she is my wife and no one can change that.''

''Son when you change your mind? please let me know.'' and with that, she slammed the door behind her and left.

'' I am sorry, you had to listen to her nonsense,'' His words felt genuine.

''she is right though, I am nothing but a burd—

''I am warning you if finish that sentence—''

''But it's true, I am blin----

suddenly I felt a pair of strong arms around me, he embraced me in a tight hug. "you are my responsibility...You are mine." his words tingled in my ear as his breath brushed on my bare neck, he tucked a hair strang behind my ear. And I stood there in silence not knowing how to respond, I never have been in such an awkward situation before, few mins later he pulled from the hug yet still held my hand in his. I lifted my hand up, '' I am not going to slap," his body stiffed.

I traced his hands, softly trialing over to his shoulder." how tall are you?" I chuckled as I couldn't reach his face. "Way taller than you are..." He smiled through his words. " But FYI 6'5" He lifted my hand and place it on his face. "Now, you can continue your little session, Angel."

His breath trembled a little when I touched his face especially his lips.
"So, what do you think?" He asked, amusedly.
"What do you mean?"
"Am I handsome or not?"

I smiled at his questions but didn't answer as I didn't how to explain how "handsome" he is.

"Diya, why don't you get fresh and join me for breakfast?" He said casually.

"Okay"

Anuraag's POV.
Her small hand felt cute when she touched me and my face. I asked her what she sensed or felt...Am I attractive in her opinion or not? She didn't answer instead she smiled. Was it yes? I guess so...

I served breakfast and settled down next to her on the dining table.
Her hand search for the plate, "here let me help." I suggested.
"You don't have to.but thanks."
"No problem."

"Umm..so good..did you cook this?" She asked.
"Yes." I smiled.
"Wow! You are amazing!" She complimented and took a bite.

"Ah..thank you"

After we finished eating breakfast, I collected the dishes and placed them in the sink.
Meanwhile, Diya went back to the room.

A while later, I went to her room, she was sitting on the bed and a book was in her lap, she was tracing every word carefully.

"What are you reading?" I walked towards her. She shifted in surprise. "Oh..nothing important.."
"Sorry I disturbed you. I will come back la—
"Don't be sorry, I am glad you did. I am meaning to talk to you..if you don't mind can I ask something?" She closed the book and placed it on the other side.

"Sure." I sat on the bed next to her.
She tucked her loose strand of hair nervously, her bangles crinkled making a small sweet sound in the room. "Anuraag, wh-Why did you marry me?" Her question left me dumbfounded.

"Umm...look Diya, honestly I don't know, it just felt the right thing to do...I know how Indian society works especially in small towns or cities...and it would have hurt me to see my best friend's family's humiliation."
"Thank you...for what you did. But-" she paused.
"But?" I raised my brow.
"Anuraag, I am afraid that I wouldn't be able to fulfill the duty as a "wife" and—

I stroked her both hands gently. "I don't expect you to, all I need is from you is being truthful to your feelings. If you ever feel like you want to get separated or divorced, I will respect your choice by heart. And it will suffice for me if you only want to be friends with me. But as long you are with me you're my responsibility and my first priority" I said.

"Whatever you want? I will give you, I will try my best to make you feel home. And most importantly you can count on me."

"Thank you for everything. I appreciate it. And very happy to have a friend like you by my side." Tears ran down from her eyes.

"Don't cry, I don't like it...you look like a balloon with a hint of red tomato." I pinch her nose teasingly.

She laughed through her tears and embraced me in a hug.
A friend. Maybe this is what she wants. Then so be it!