52

As the days passed I grew more and more anxious as we drew closer to December. The temperatures were dropping and soon we would be faced with snow, from there it would be a matter of hours before it stuck and then we would be facing the Volturi.

We really didn't have enough time and I'd realised all my life I'd been taking everything — no matter how small — for granted.

Renesmee continued to grow as every day passed and it was one day less we would spend with her because no one knew how this was going to pan out.

I'd never felt more overwhelmed in my entire life, trying to learn three gifts within the short space of time we had left. I had gotten the swing of Zafrina's mind projection and Benjamin's elemental control was proving to be easier with each day I practiced it but it was hard to master Bella's when she couldn't even project it herself.

Kate had explained this morning how she taught herself to project her electrocution all over her body as opposed to just in her palms. Every gift could be developed it was just a matter of learning how. 

Once Bella could project her shield to other people I would be able to learn how to do it and we could put our strength together like Eleazer said to create something stronger.

Like always at the minute we found ourselves outside as Kate talked Bella through projecting her gift. Her first few attempts were a fail and Edward had landed on his ass once or twice after Kate electrocuted him.

"Dude you're not motivating her." Emmett said to his adoptive brother as he picked himself up off the floor.

"You want to try?" Edward fired.

Emmett raised his hands in surrender from next to Garrett and I turned to watch Bella as her face twisted in concentration. She was putting some focus into projecting her shield but was it enough?

I looked closer and for a split second a shimmer-like transparent field emitted from her. It was barely visible but if you looked close enough you could see as it blurred everything around it. My lips parted in a mixture of shock and excitement as I watched Bella produce an actual barrier, no matter how big or small it was.

Only, it wasn't enough. Once Kate's hand touched Edward's neck the crackling sound rang out loudly and Edward fell to his knees again groaning.

"Kate!" Bella yelled in attempt to get her to stop.

"You seem to lack incentive." Kate said to my sister, "Shall I go see if Renesmee's awake?"

My eyes widened somewhat but I remained silent. I could see where Kate was going with this, she was threatening something close to Bella in order for her to put more energy and focus into projecting her shield.

"Are you crazy?" Bella fired angrily.

"All right." Kate nodded, wiggling her fingers, "This ones on full power."

Edward looked obviously with wide eyes at Bella, clearly unwilling to face the power of Kate's electrocution again. Reluctantly he stepped forwards after getting himself to his feet again, holding his hand out slowly while screwing his eyes shut.

I watched as Bella stood next to Edward, her eyes focusing on him like she was blocking everything else out.

Slowly Kate reached forwards and clasped her hand around Edwards wrist, the crackling noise returning.

I waited for something to happen, for either Edward to fall to the ground groaning or Kate to stop but neither did. Instead Edward opened his eyes slowly as I watched the surge Kate was producing spread into Edwards skin.