15

I sighed staring at the brown cup in front of me, my head resting in my arms on the table. The light of the hospital cafeteria illuminated around me and my eyes burnt from a combination of lack of sleep and crying. Hospital chairs were not comfortable and they did not make good beds, I learnt that the hard way but god was I tried.

"When was the last time you slept, kiddo?" Charlie asked from opposite me on the table in the cafeteria, his tone anxious. He sounded so stressed and I just wanted to relive some of it for him but I couldn't. I'd never felt so guilty right now and this really wasn't even my fault.

"I don't know." I mumbled before sitting up straight and stretching. A yawn coming to me, "Two days maybe? I lost track."

"I should probably take you back to the hotel."

I shook my head and leaning forwards on the table again, "I want to stay for when she pulls round."

He gave me a half smile before taking my arm in his and pushing the sleeve of my baggy hoodie up. He grazed his thumb across the white bandage wrapped around my forearm and shook his head to himself. I had a tiny injury compared to my sister and yet to a normal person it would be quite significant. I was counting myself lucky getting away with twenty odd stitches in my arm while someone else getting that would be besides themselves. 

"You two.. I can't believe she fell down the stairs and then out of a window."

Memories of that night surfaced quickly and I swallowed hard as I maintained the well calculated lie Carlisle had fabricated, "Neither can I."

Charlie let go of my arm and sat back in his seat before running his hands over his face, "I don't know how much more of this I can take, the waiting."

I shook my head, "Neither."

I heard my dad sigh heavily, "Your mom and I think you and Bella should go to Jacksonville with her, once Bella gets better."

I looked blankly at him before shaking my head, "No, I don't want that." I told him honestly, "I love Forks dad, I have you and Paul and Jake and my friends. I don't want to leave that."

He nodded, rubbing my arm when I noticed my mom waking towards mine and Charlie's table. She gave us a half hearted smile as the both of us looked up to her, waiting for whatever news she had for us, "She's awake." She told us, "She's asking for you Charlie."

My dad stood up quickly, his chair screeching off the linoleum floor and causing me to cringe. I stood up after him and followed him out of the cafeteria quickly, walking alongside my mom. A lot had happened since I'd last seen her, finding out I was adopted and all that and while it was good to see her again I wish it was on better circumstances. I was scared it would he awkward between us since I'd found out about the adoption but it wasn't and I was glad. Regardless though, it felt a lifetime ago since I had seen her last, saying goodbye to her at the airport in Phoenix before boarding that plane.

"I heard what you said to your dad." She told me, butting shoulders with me.

I stared straight ahead, "You did?"

"Yeah sweetie." She said, "It's your choice, if you wanna stay in Forks I can't be the one to stop you."

I looked to her, "I've kind of built a life there mom." I chuckled, "I've almost graduated."

"I know." She smiled and put her arm around my shoulders comfortingly, "But who's this Paul?"

I exhaled and dropped my head while groaning. This was a conversation for a different time. I was way too tired for her to start freaking out over a boy, "Mom, c'mon—"