25

I decided that I loved the drugs the hospital were supplying me with. I had no pain, at all, and it was bliss. Add in the factor I felt like I was floating on air right now and it was heaven. If I wasn't in a ugly hospital gown on a ward right now I'd of thought I was at a spa or something given how relaxed I felt.

Sam Uley had really come through for me today and it proved as he sat next to me in the hospital room I was in, keeping me entertained in such a stressful situation. We'd had a laugh together while the doctors and nurses were stressing around us.

I could see the stress in his eyes though but he covered himself well.

We'd been here around a three hours and I'd already had several scans and X-rays. There was still no sign of my dad but Sam assured me he would be here as soon as he could. He wouldn't tell me what was keeping him though but I got the impression that he knew.

My dad had organised a hunt today to try and find the wolves. With Sam sat at my side I assumed none of the pack had been caught otherwise he wouldn't be here.. but what was keeping my dad?

"You said you were going to help out over at Harry's." I recalled, a frown on my face, "What happened?"

Sam sighed, leaning into his hand as his elbow rested on my bed, "Harry had a heart attack while he was out with your dad. He saw that vampire."

The rhythmic lull of the heart monitor set up to me beeped alongside us, "Did he..?" I asked apprehensively. Sam nodded solemnly and I stared up at the ceiling in shock, "My god."

Charlie and Harry had been friends for as long as I could remember, much similar to him and Billy. We had been close to the Clearwater family for some time. My dad and Harry used to go on fishing trips together all the time.

"The pack are over at Harry's now. Charlie was there too but now he knows your in hospital they'll know too, it won't be long until they're here."

"We didn't call Paul, Sam." I said anxiously, "He's going to want to know why."

"It's not your fault. If anyone should've called him it's was either me or Jacob and since I ordered him not to Paul has no reason to be angry with Jake."

I licked my lip nervously. I knew exactly the earful I'd get from Paul— about putting myself in danger again and honestly I couldn't blame him, I just didn't want to hear it. He was right, I had to start think about myself more. I exhaled deeply, "He's going to slaughter me."

"He won't." Sam told me, "And if he tries to I'll stop him."

I turned my head to glance over at Sam, "It's my fault I'm in the hospital though Sam. It was my decision to jump."

"You jumped to try and save your sisters life." He reminded me, "Alice told you what she saw and you decided it was a risk you couldn't take." He sighed, "I'm just glad Jacob was close enough by to catch your scents."

"Yeah." I mumbled, "Me too."

Just then the hospital door burst open and my dad stood in the open doorway. His chest heaved as if he'd ran all the way from the Clearwater house. His jaw was slack and he dragged his hand over his face, closing the door slowly behind him.

He walked slowly into the room, looking over at Sam before resting his eyes back on me, "What-what happened?"

"Funny story.." I tried to crack, using humour to lighten the situation but it was an ill-attempt. My dad didn't look amused and so I pressed my lips together as he shuffled closer to me at his own pace, "I jumped off a cliff." His brows climbed to the top of his head, "And I hit my back on the rocks."