twenty-six

The next day, Satou, Kirishima, Denki and Mina were looking sad.
"Everyone... I'm looking forwards to nice stories from the trip!" Mina said sadly.

"Aw, Mina! There could still be some plot twist, like the entrance exam!" I said.
"Don't say that, [Y/N], you're gonna jinx it!" she whined.

"Failing our exams means summer school hell instead of training camp in the woods, and we flunked the practical!" Denki exclaimed, "the only plot twist would be if your average scores were less than a monkey's!"

He sounded genuinely distraught as he shook me by my shoulders, which made me feel incredibly sympathetic towards him.
"Watch it, Denki," Hanta walked over, "you're talking too much."

"Aw, Sero's getting all overprotective," Mina cooed, to which I sighed.
"Shut it," I said playfully.
"Anyway, I'm in the same boat," Hanta shrugged at Denki, "Midnight put me to sleep. [Y/N] did all the work, really."

"Don't give me all the credit, Hanta. If you hadn't got me outta the way in that first minute or two, then we both would've failed the exam," I said.
"Save your pity! I just want your points!" Denki whined.

"That's the bell, seated!" the door slammed open and Aizawa burst in. I shrieked loudly and fell over a chair whilst running to my desk.
"I-Irezumi! Are you okay?" Midoriya exclaimed, rushing to help me to my feet. Hanta shot him a narrow-eyed glance.
"Ha, yeah!" I grinned, hopping up to my feet and sitting behind the green-haired boy.

"Now that Irezumi's stopped fooling around, we can talk about the exams. Sadly, there were a few failures..." Aizawa said, "but you're all going to the summer camp! Everyone cleared the written test, but in the practical, Kirishima, Kaminari, Ashido, Satou... and Sero all failed."

"I knew it. Clearing the practical didn't necessarily mean I passed," Hanta said, hiding his face in his hands.
"What?! Mister Aizawa, sir, that's so unfair! Hanta did really well!" I said, hitting my desk with the flat of my palm.

"Stay seated, or I'll fail you on the exam as well." Aizawa groaned, "I don't have the energy for this..."
"Fine. If Hanta fails, then I do as well," i crossed my arms and sat down again, "no further questions, your honour."

Aizawa explained that it was another rational deception, like I had suspected. I couldn't ignore the feeling of eyes on me, but tried to anyway.

"But, failure is still failure. You five will be receiving special supplemental lessons," Aizawa's beady eyes shot towards me, "you're going with them too because, excuse my language, you're being a little shit."

Everyone went silent. I folded my arms stubbornly.
"You could've just let Hanta pass the exam," I mumbled, akin to a small child, "it's not like he didn't do anything."

The camp manuals were passed around the class. Hagakure offered to take everyone shopping, which I thought was a pretty cool idea.

"This'll be a first, come to think of it! Great idea!" Denki said.
"I'll go if Hanta does," I shrugged.
"Hey, you come too, Bakugou!" Kirishima grinned.
"No way! It's a waste of time!" Bakugou snapped.

.
.
.

Hanta ended up going, so I did too. Everyone had decided to split up, so Hanta and I went looking for hiking boots and stuff.

"Thanks for standing up for me after the final exam," he said after a while.
"I just didn't think it'd be fair for you to fail the exam," I replied, scratching the back of my neck sheepishly, "besides, you would've done the same for me, right?"

"If I had as fast of a brain as you, probably," he grinned. I giggled and we entered a shop, walking along the shoes until we found hiking boots.

"These ones are cool!" I said, pointing to some khaki green ones.
"Wha— so expensive!" Hanta exclaimed.
"¥10,000... I guess so," I shrugged, reaching and grabbing them.

"Wait, you can afford that?!" he said.
"I'll just use my mom's card," I shrugged, "because she has a lot of money. you getting anything?"

"Ha, I don't even think I can afford anything in here!" Hanta chuckled.
"Uh, I meant, do you want me to buy you anything?" I said, "did you really think I'd get, like, the most expensive thing in here and then make you follow me around?"

His face lit up like a kid's on christmas.
"Really?" he grinned.
"Pff, of course!" I replied, linking my arm with his, "anything you want, Flex Tape. Go nuts."

"Those hiking boots did look good," he glanced at the ones I was holding.
"We could go matching!" I smiled.

Suddenly, police flooded the store.
"Everybody needs to leave the mall temporarily. A dangerous villain has been seen in the area," a voice said. My eyes widened.
"Uh— hold these." I said, shoving my boots into Hanta's arms, "what shoe size are you?"
"Ten," he replied.

I checked and grabbed a size ten.
"Don't we have to go, though? There's no time to pay," he said.

"Exactly. Run!" I laughed. We sprinted straight out of the store, setting off the alarm or something.
"Dude! we could get arrested for this!" Hanta exclaimed.
"My mom'll bail us out!" I replied.

.
.
.

"We've had to cancel our usual accommodations. We won't reveal our actual destination until the day we depart," Aizawa said.
"what?! i already told my older sister!" Hanta exclaimed.
"My dad thinks we're going to the training camp," I mumbled, "at least he won't know where I actually am."

"That's precisely the point," Yaoyorozu said, "the school can't control who learns what, or how."
I shrugged.
"I guess you're right," I sighed. Kirishima walked over to me and, without stopping, grabbed my arm and pulled me to an isolated corner of the classroom.

"Hey, are you okay now? I mean, your dad and all..." he said.
"Red, I'm fine," I replied, "my mom's home from the hospital now, so he won't try anything."
"But she's one of the pros, surely she's out of the house a lot!" he said.

"Actually, not a lot of crime happens around, which is surprising," I shrugged.
"Okay... just, well, be careful, okay? If anything happens, you can spend the night with me again," Kirishima grinned.

I smiled slightly and nodded.
"Okay, I will," I said, "thanks, Red. I really appreciate it."