forty-seven

The borrowed blows, all repaid in a one-punch takedown.

Tengai and Rappa lay crippled on the floor, among the concrete debris.

As did Kirishima.

"Is he conscious?!" Fatgum rushed over, placing a hand on Kirishima's shoulder.

"Who's there..." Kirishima groaned, pained.
"It's me! Mr. Fat! I'm just doin' some weight watchin'!" the pro exclaimed, "c'mon kid, you gotta get what I'm sayin' from context, right?!"

"I..." Kirishima wheezed, "I'll protect you... gotta do... what I... can..."

Fatgum's eyes watered up.
"Oh, Red..." I frowned. There was a shuffled and Fatgum and I turned to see Rappa rising to his feet.

"This ain't over... this is a battle to the death..." he groaned, "I'm not dead yet!"
"No way in hell!" I gasped, "he's still standing?!"

"There's first aid supplies over there," Rappa's voice quietened, "tend to the kid— no, tend to that man's wounds."

"This is a trap," Fatgum recognised.
"Do I look like the type who does traps?" Rappa hissed.

"Rappa! Don't act so selfish! It's my duty to control you and your lust for battle!" Tengai chided, "obey my commands! Think about the reason a beast like you whose bread and butter is violence is allowed to be here! What is your duty, Rappa?!"

And to silence him, Rappa caved a boot into Tengai's chest.
"Ya ain't even got any strength left in you to throw up a barrier anyway," he said, "so be quiet, wouldja. Then again... I'm beat up, too. My bones are broke, and I can't raise my arms."

"What do you want from us, then?" I furrowed my brow.
"A fight. I want us to kill each other. You heard tell I came from an underground fight club, right? A fight club where you could go to town with your quirk," Rappa said, "there weren't many who could take a punch from me and stay on their feet. Even those that could would always beg for their lives in the end. You understand now, right? The pain of not bein' able to do what I wanted!

"The kind of power that only comes from putting your life on the line! I wanted that kind of brawl! You two were superb! You met the challenge!" it seemed that Rappa was praising Fatgum and Red Riot, "especially the redhead! I've taken a personal interest in you! We'll continue this death match! So heal up! Next time I'll be sure to kill you!"

"Yer gonna be arrested and locked up ya know," Fatgum said, "ya don' get it do ya? There ain't no next time. You lose."
"Hope you enjoy prison food," I tacked on.

"Like hell! If nobody's dead, it's a draw!" Rappa made to leave. Fatgum was in no shape to give chase.

He slowly picked Kirishima up.
"Mr. Fatgum, I can carry him if you need me to. I'm not injured at all," I volunteered.
He shook his head, "it's alright."

.
.
.

At 9.15am, only 45 minutes later, the mission was a success. Kirishima was recovered on a stretcher. Fatgum and I never left his side. I was glad to have barely suffered any injury at all.

The little girl was rescued. Her name was Eri.

Kirishima ended up with immense bruising and lacerations all over his body - thankfully not life threatening. Amajiki came out with a large, fissure-like wound on his face that would supposedly heal without a trace, given time. Fatgum suffered numerous bone fractures, but aside from that, he was just fine. Mom had somehow ended up with Ryukyu and escaped with only a few broken bones. As did I — I came out of the mission with broken hands from where I had tried to break my fall.

Nighteye... unfortunately... didn't escape with his life. All Might, Togata and Midoriya had visited him on his deathbed.

Speaking of Togata, he had had his quirk erased. Permanently. By the weapons Chisaki Kai had been developing. And the police escort that had been transporting Chisaki had been attacked by Shigaraki Tomura.

Everything felt like one huge mess.

On a lighter note, we found that Bakugou, Shouto and Tetsuya had all not obtained their Provisional Licenses. I knew of Bakugou and Shouto, but I really was convinced Tetsuya had gotten hers.

When we returned to school, they had us go through a bunch of inquiries and processes. But we were eventually able to make it to the dorms that night.

"They're back! Th-they came back!" Mineta had screeched. We were swarmed as we re-entered.

"You guys always come back after getting mixed up with some crazy business! Quit scarin' me, dammit!" Denki cried.
"We're glad you're okay," Shouji spoke monotonously.
"Okay? Are they okay? Hmm..." Jirou sighed.

"Everyone! I know you were all worried, but let's calm down!" Iida shouted, "you all saw the news, didn't you? So you know what they went through. As classmates, we should be sensitive to their feelings and let them rest."

"Iida, Iida..." Midoriya said, "thank you, but... I'm alright."

Suddenly, Hanta and Mina crowded over to Kirishima and I.
"Why didn't ya say anything to us?!" Hanta exclaimed, looping an arm around Kirishima, "we were totally caught off guard! We couldn't believe it!"
"Kirishima!" Mina said, "are you okay?"
"I've got a long way to go," he sighed.

Expectant eyes turned to me.
"And [Y/N]? Are you okay too?" Mina asked. I paused before grabbing the front of Kirishima's shirt and snivelling.

"Thank you so much for looking after me, Eijirou!" I cried out, "and I'm sorry for not being able to look after you, too!"
"Hey, now, wait!" Kirishima exclaimed, panicking, "don't say that! You were really great!"

"No I wasn't," I shook my head, "while you and Mr. Fatgum were risking your life against Rappa, I was on the sidelines like some extra!"
"Not true," Kirishima argued back, "I was the one who got one-shotted within the first five seconds! You stayed with me the entire time, even when I felt like I was at my worst!"

"But... I barely did anything," I frowned.
"When you threw yourself in front of Fat and used your quirk on Rappa, the one thing he thought was unbecoming... you were prepared to risk it all," he tilted his head, "even when one punch from him could've broken you for life... you still did it. Part of you is what gave me the will to fight! I want to become a selfless hero who can jump in and save people without question. And you helped me make the first few steps!"

With his speech, followed by a toothy grin, I burst into tears.
"Oh, Red!" I snivelled, "I-I'm sorry for not acting sooner! Thank you so much!"
"Hey, hey! Please don't cry!" he waved his arms in front of me.

Mina threw her arms around me.
"Ohh, [Y/N]! You and Kirishima are so brave! You threw yourself in front of a villain for him?!" she exclaimed.
"Well, yeah... but he took the hit," I rubbed my eyes, "Red's the one who protected us... I-I probably would've died if he hadn't."

"Exactly!" Kirishima said as Mina let go, "I toldja I made my promise to Kaminari and Sero, right? I'd never forgive myself if something happened to you while I was around."

"I-I'm gonna cry more," I said.
"Please don't!" Kirishima exclaimed.

I turned to Hanta.
"Did Red really say that?" I asked quietly.
"Uh, yeah. Beforehand, he was like 'I promise I'll keep Irezumi out of harm's way for you!' and Denki and I were really confused," he said, "but I guess I know now. And I'm really grateful for it."

I hummed, stepping closer and leaning into him. He sighed and put his arms around me.
"I'm seriously glad you're okay, Flower," he murmured, "I don't know what I'd do if something happened to you."

I put my arms back around him.
"I'm just glad to be back... I really thought I might die in there," I said, "and that I'd never get to see you, or Denki, or anyone ever again."

"It's fine now, you're fine," he answered quietly, "there's nothing to worry about for a long time coming."