the one where she party plans

Sunny is on yet another business trip. I didn't realize how many of those business consultants go on. Arav's third birthday is approaching quickly - yes, it's really been a year since the two most important men in my life had been introduced. Katherine and I are in her living room in Alexandria, Virginia figuring out the remaining plans for the party this Saturday.

"I really want to do a pinata, but is that cultural appropriation?" she asks while scanning her laptop. She pushes her black-rimmed glasses up and looks up at me.

I shrug, "I don't think so? We could get him a Hot Wheels one?" Arav is really into Hot Wheels right now.

She nods and makes a note on the journal beside her. I can't help but respect the effort she's putting into her son's birthday, especially when she has a personal assistant who could easily take over. When we get to a stopping point, she has her assistant bring us a bottle of wine for a quick celebration.

"So, Jaanu, how are things between you and Sunny?"

I smile, "They're great, I think. I don't know- I miss him. He's been on business trips the majority of our relationship."

She nods knowingly, "Trust me, I totally get that. Ex-wife to future-wife" she winks at me before continuing, "Watch out for those business trips."

I furrow my eyebrows, "What do you mean?"

"That's why Sunny and I got divorced. He couldn't keep it in his pants. Granted, neither could I. We constantly cheated on each other. The score was pretty even, so our friendship wasn't destroyed."

"Were you in an open relationship?" I ask hopefully.

"No, honey. We were just shitty people," she laughs before looking at a portrait of Michelle Obama on her wall. "I'm not telling you this so you freak out. I'm telling you this because as much as I think he's changed for you, I want you to be prepared. I like you too much to lose you over something Sunny does."

I nod, but my head and heart are pounding. I chug the rest of the wine in my glass and scramble to grab the rest of my stuff that's laying around. "I have to go, Kat. I'll see you on Saturday for the party."

She pulls me into a hug, and I walk out of her house to get to the nearest Metro to get back to DC. I rummage through my purse to find my phone and try to call Sunny. It goes to voicemail. It must be around 4 AM there. He's probably asleep. I reason with myself. It doesn't stop me from calling again.

I ride the Metro with every incidence that could cause doubt playing in my mind. I try to listen to calming music, but the seed of doubt has been planted. As I rush back to my apartment, I run into Brandon.

"Hey, Jaanu! Long-time no see," he smiles.

I give him a wavering smile back, "Hi."

"Is everything okay?" he looks down at me with concern. I want to say yes and keep walking, but I find myself shaking my head. I'm not okay.

He convinces me to let him take me to his place for a cup of coffee. I sit opposite him at his kitchen table as he pours two cups of coffee.

"So what's wrong?" he asks.

"Nothing- it's just. Do you know anything about how Sunny was when he was married to Katherine?"

Brandon laughs, "Man, he was miserable. Once she cheated on him the first time, he couldn't help himself. He couldn't leave an event without a woman in his arms. I used to think he was a sex addict, but now, I think he was just really depressed."

Relief floods me, "Oh."

"If it's any consolation, he seems very happy now. I think we know who to thank," Brandom squeezes my hand.

"Thanks, Brand. And I'm sorry for never contacting you. I didn't want you to get the wrong idea," I explain.

He shakes his head. "Don't apologize. You're a woman who knows what she wants."

Brandon walks me to the door and pulls me into a hug. "Please stay in touch," he asks, and this time, I readily agree. He really is just a nice guy. As I walk back to my place, I feel my phone buzz and see Sunny is calling me.

"Hi, babe," I say cheerfully.

"Hi? You sound happy!" he says- the sleep still in his voice.

"Yeah, I am. Are you?"

"Did you really call me three times at 4 in the morning to ask if I was happy?" he groans. I feel a little bad, but I'm more relieved at the moment than anything else.

"Yeah... sorry about that. I was at Katherine's, and she mentioned something about you that kind of freaked me out," I say.

"What? What'd she say?!" he panics.

"Nothing- it's not important anymore. Brandon talked me through it."

"Brandon? What the fuck did that son of a bitch say?" Sunny is freaking out, and I can't help but also panic a bit.

'Nothing! Honestly, don't worry about it."

"How can I not worry when my friends are spreading shit? Why were you even talking to Brandon?"

"Uh- I... we ran into each other-" My nerves spark from the anger in his voice, and I start stuttering.

"You know what, Jaanu? I'll talk to you at Arav's party. I don't have time for stupid shit like this so early in the morning," he seethes before hanging up. I'm left speechless. I try calling again, but I'm sent to voicemail.