the one where she doesn't need saving but he might

My hair is tied up in a bun at the top of my head as my dark-rimmed glasses slip down my nose. My head is buried in my biology textbook, cramming for the exam I have later today. Alex is next to me reviewing his 'test bank' of questions. 

He looks over and calls my name, "So Jaanu, I heard you and Sunny went on a date the other day."

I roll my eyes. " Zhao, it was not a date. We're singles club."

"I'm single too!" he argues.

"Yeah, well, come next time then!" I shoot back. 

I look up to see Avan heading to our table and wave him over. Just because Sunny hated his ex didn't mean I had to too. He greets me with a friendly hug and sits opposite of Alex and me. 

"Ready for the test today?" His light brown hair is ruffled and the coffee in his hands shows he's just as stressed as we are.

We shrug, and I promise I'll let them know how it goes since I take it before them.

"Jaanu!" I hear from the further end of the room. I see Sunny waving me over, and I furrow my eyebrows before heading over to see what he wants.

"What's up, Sun?"

"You're welcome. I just saved you from that." He gestured towards Avan.

I give him a look of disbelief. "Sunny- what the hell? He's my friend, and I didn't need saving. If I did, I would ask for it." 

I turn hotly on my heel and march back to the boys. I glare at him when I sit back down before turning back to my textbook.

He waits a few minutes before coming towards us sheepishly. "Hey, y'all." We look up to see him holding his notebook and watch him slide into the empty desk.

Avan asks him to sit down and shares his textbook. I shake my head at how kind Avan is being when Sunny was just being a jerk.

Alex decides to break the tension. "So, Sunny... I heard about your date with Jaanu."

My eyes widen as the boy next me cracks up laughing.

Sunny smirks at me, "Is that so?"

"I swear I did not say that!" I promise before glaring at Alex and shrinking under Avan's gaze.

"I always knew you loved me, Jaan" Sunny teases.

I chuck an eraser at his head. "No! I don't! BLECH!"

He shows offense to the retching noise. "Don't say 'blech'!"

"I can't help it. BLECH! Just the thought," I retort.

He rolls his eyes as the others laugh at our bantering. He leaves our group and heads back to his assigned seat when the teacher walks back in but not before giving me a sly wink. And as much as I was to ignore it, I start to blush.

————————------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was Thursday night. Thursday night meant date night. By date I mean, friend date. As high school progressed, my closest friends and I had noticed we didn't even have as much time for each other. Once a month, we host date night in which we all have dinner and catch up. It's mandatory. There are four of us on date night: Shai Safira, Song Wang, Angela Martin, and me.

We're currently eating pho and chatting. "... anyways, so I'm sitting there, barbeque sauce on my titties-" Shai continues while the rest of us cackle away. We continue laughing until we sigh, trying to catch our breath.

"Oh my god" Song breathes. 

The table shifts to a comfortable silence. I reach for hoisin sauce and squirt some more into my broth. I use my chopsticks to grab a stray piece of carrot and make eye contact with Shai before bursting out laughing again. I check my watch and realize that I need to leave to make my curfew. I wipe the steam from my glasses and scoot towards the end of the booth before pulling out the cash from my pocket.

"Shai? You wanted to walk home with me, right?" I ask. She nods and follows me out the door. The humidity of Texas heat hits us as we make our way back to our neighborhood. I link my arm with hers as she complains about the mosquitoes attacking her legs.

I laugh and check my phone as it buzzes.

Rainy boi: u up?

Me: why? u tryna fuck?

Rainy boi: No... unless... jk... unless...

Me: LOL

Me: for real tho, wassup?

Rainy boi: did u do the calc homework?

Me: We had calc homework?

I feel my heart rate speed up at his text. It wasn't in my plan to stay up much later tonight. I calm down as I read his next text.

Rainy boi: gotcha ;)

Rainy boi: r u baking tonight?

I wasn't planning on it, but I check my watch, and it's really not that late. I do have a new recipe I've been dying to try. I smile before answering 'maybe'.

Rainy boi: can i come over and help

I know my Indian parents wouldn't love having a boy over this late, but I think of how fun it would be. I send him a 'thumbs up' emoji before continuing my conversation with Shai.

"Was that Sunny?" she asks.

I nod.

"Are you two a thing or something?"

"No way! It's the same as it's always been" I promise, but I can't help but be glad the sky is dark enough to hide my blooming blush.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He sneaks into my house from the backdoor. "I didn't know you had a pool. You never invite anyone over to swim" he comments.

"Just because I haven't invited you doesn't mean I haven't invited anyone" I smirk.

He scoffs and turns to the island covered in our ingredients. "What are we making?"

I hand him my handwritten notes of white chocolate raspberry bundt cake instructions. "I came up with this, let's try it?"

He nods impressed and rolls up his sleeves.

It's not ten minutes later that he cracks yet another egg onto the floor. My frustration is through the roof, but I patiently sigh and hand him a wet paper towel to clean it up. 

"You really suck" I laugh as he groans to bend over and clean up his mess.

"Actually, sweetheart, I think that's your job" he grins.

"You're overconfident" I roll my eyes.

"Trust me, Jaan, there's plenty of girls who can... no... who will contest otherwise" he throws away the towel and walks towards me and the bowl of cream cheese frosting I'm mixing. 

The heat in the kitchen is almost sweltering, and I don't think it's from the preheated oven.

I dip my finger into the frosting before bringing it to my lips and sucking. I wink as the shocked expression covers his face. "Prove it."

It's almost as if he's in a trance as he moves closer to me, and surprisingly, I let him. I grab an egg in my hand, and as he leans in, I crush it on his head.

I laugh and run away as his hands go to his hair. "You've got to be kidding me!" 

He tries to hide his grin with faux anger. He grabs the bowl of flour and is about to chuck it at me when the sound of a throat clearing causes us both to freeze.

My dad, wearing a tired expression laced with disapproval, crosses his arms. He's mad about the mess for sure, but it's the boy in his house after hours that's really got his veins throbbing. In no time, Sunny is apologizing and running out of my house, and I'm reminded that I'm not allowed to even look at boys. What would people think?