the one where the ex-wife approves

It had been a couple of weeks since Arav joined our preschool, and I was happy to say that he was getting along with the other kids. The apple really doesn't fall far from the tree. I hadn't seen Sunny in a couple of weeks as Arav's mother usually came to pick him up or drop him off.

Katherine was kind as she was beautiful, and I honestly didn't understand why the two got divorced. I would marry her from just the few weeks I've known her. She worked in business consulting and was constantly 'at work'. I couldn't judge her though because I knew that would have been me if the whole doctor thing had happened. We'd actually become friends in the last couple of weeks. Apparently, Arav spoke very highly of me at home, and she thought we 'vibed'.

I walked against the October chill to meet Katherine for breakfast at Lincoln's Waffle Shop. The red polka dot maxi dress I regretted wearing flew up with the wind as I used my free hand to hold it down. I step in to hear Katherine call me over but am surprised to see that she's not alone. Arav is seated next to her, and Sunny is seated across his son.

It suddenly feels like I'm intruding on a family meal.

"Hi, everyone" I smile brightly, trying to hide the fact that I'm slightly uncomfortable.

They all smile and wave as I put down my bag and pull out the chair next to Sunny.

"I hope you don't mind," Katherine started, "I told Sunny about this, and he asked if he could join too."

I promise them that I don't and sip on a glass of ice water in front of me. Arav is blabbering away about pirates and spaceships, and we all animatedly listen. When he finally declares that he needs to use the restroom, Sunny offers to take him, and Katherine and I are left alone.

"I'm sorry it's been so chaotic," she apologizes for her son.

"Please don't apologize. I love kids. I'm used to this!" I tell her genuinely.

"Anyways, Sunny said that you two used to know each other?" she questions.

I'm not sure exactly what to say. How much did she know?

"Uh... yeah. We used to be friends in high school," I reply. It's not a lie. I just left out that I was in love with him, and it turns out that he was in love with me too.

"What a small world! And to think that you both ended up in DC?" She grins.

I smile too and look back to see Sunny and Arav making their way back to the table. Arav goes back to eating his grapes and is quiet as he focuses on his food for a minute.

"So ladies, what were we talking about?" Sunny smiles and focuses his eyes on the side of my face.

"Just how much we hate you-" slips out of my mouth.

Katherine and Sunny share a stunned look before laughing.

"I like her!" exclaims Katherine, while Sunny shakes his head and chuckles, "You really haven't changed."

The rest of the breakfast goes by quickly, and I realize I need to head over to my cancer advocacy meeting soon. I thank them all for breakfast as they insisted on paying and leave for work.

***Sunny's POV***

I watch Jaanu leave and turn back to the table with a smile tracing my face. I'm met with Katherine wiggling her eyebrows at me.

"So, how long have you been in love with her?" she asks.

My eyes widen, and I shake my head. "No, no, no... don't start, Kat."

She rolls her eyes, "I can tell, you know. For what it's worth, I really like her. I think Arav does too. Girls that like don't stick around forever."

As if I didn't already know that. Still, it's nice knowing my family would be supportive of our relationship. I knew that I couldn't make the same mistakes as last time. We may be grown up, but she's still my Jaan and won't settle for less than exemplary.