the one where he finally gets his dance

"Please, please, please, please, PLEASE!" Sunny begs as he walks me home from work.

Arav joins in with his father, "Pweaseeeee, Jaanie!!"

It's hard for me to resist two sets of puppy dog eyes, but I pout and whine "Why me?"

"Because I have to take someone, and I don't want to take my ex-wife" he reasons.

"Are you really saying you have no other female friends?" I raise my eyebrow and tilt my head.

He shrugs, "I want to take you. Please, will you come to this gala with me?" He stops walking, and I turn to face him. People walk around us grumbling.

I sigh and agree while fighting a smile.

"It's a date" he winks as I roll my eyes and continue walking home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the fuck is your closet?" Avan asks as he rummages through looking for an outfit for Sunny's gala.

Avan, yes Avan from high school, is my roommate. We ended up reconnecting in DC after he started his residency at Georgetown, and I moved here for my nonprofit work. Our relationship has changed a lot. What started as a one-night stand reconnection turned into a completely platonic living situation. One, he was no longer hung up over me after realizing that I was a literal human mess. Two, he basically became my new Alex- my best friend and confidant.

I lay across my bed and dodged the empty hangers he threw out from the closet.

"Do you really not have any formal wear?"

"I'm a preschool teacher! Why would I own an evening gown?" I defend myself.

He runs into his room and pulls out a long sleeve red evening gown.

"Don't ask why I have this, just try it on," he says.

The dress is a little long on me, but Avan claims heels will cover up that fact. Other than that, it's pretty and highlights my curves. I haven't worn anything this tight in a while, but I'm reassured it's a classy fit. I do my own makeup because while Avan has taste, he lacks skill.

I sit on our couch in my gown as Avan puts on his scrubs and gets ready for work. He's berating me for eating chips and guac in an evening gown minutes before my date arrives when we hear a knock.

"I'll get it!" we both scream, but Avan beats me to the door. It's not my fault I can't run in heels!

I pout as he uses his arm to shove me back and shushes me before cracking open the door. I can't see Sunny, but I can hear him and smell his cologne.

"Um... hi. Is Jaanu here?"

"She's here. What do you need with my wife?" Avan narrows his eyes.

I roll my eyes and step on his foot causing him to yelp and glare back at me. He sighs at my impatience and laughs at Sunny's stuttering and shocked expression.

The door is opened wider, and suddenly, I can see him. His hair is pushed up with some gel and he's wearing a tailored tuxedo. He's holding a carton of something in his hand. He still can't see me.

Avan shakes his head, "Sunny, you don't even recognize your own bro?"

"Avan?!? What are you doing here?"

"I live here, man! What are you doing here?"

"Jaanu- uh-"

Avan laughs, "It's cool, man. We're roommates. She's actually right behind me giving me the ugliest look. You sure you wanna bring her?"