prologue

It was a normal Monday morning. I was scrambling to finish my calculus homework alone in a nearly empty cafeteria. Class didn't start for another half-hour, but I always came early to talk and compare assignments with my friends. I dug through my black Jansport bag for my calculator when I heard someone put a tray down in front of me. Grabbing the calculator, I lifted my head back up to look at Sunny. He smiled at me as he tore a piece of the doughnut from his plate.

"Morning, Jaanu" he yawned. He lifted his tray to offer the fruit cup.

I shook my head to decline the food and grinned. "You're here early."

"Yeah, yeah. I needed help with chemistry, and I think my best friend in the whole wide world would love the opportunity to help a homie out," he winked.

I bit my lip to hide my growing smile, and retorted "I'm sure Avan would love to help you."

"I'd love to do what?" Avan came up from behind me and took the seat next to me. I had to turn away to hide my blush. I've liked Avan since our freshman year. We were now juniors, and I'd never had the courage to speak up about it. It didn't help that he was absolutely gorgeous and kind. Every girl liked him.

Sunny rolled his eyes at my obvious demeanor shift before begging his other friend for his assignment. I spent the rest of the morning in silence, heat radiating off my body every time I'd accidentally brush Avan's tan hand or when we'd make eye contact.

It was finally time to get to class. I grabbed my copy of A Brave New World before heading to English. I heard Sunny call out behind me and slowed down to match his pace. We laughed our way to class, and he took his seat directly diagonal from mine. He groaned as he sat down.

"What's wrong with you?" I laughed.

"I'm just going through a drought right now" he sighed.

"You literally have a girlfriend, Sunny" I shook her head with a disgusted look as he told me to not judge because there was no way I'd ever understand.

    Alex Zhao, my best friend, came to class holding his ginger tea. He took the seat next to me and behind Sunny. "What are you two arguing about today?"

We glared at each other before mumbling 'nothing'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the end of the day when I saw Sunny again. "Hey! Are you staying for English Honor Society?" I called out to him. He nodded and grabbed my arm to lead me to where the meeting was being held.

"Do you need a ride home?" he asked. He knew the answer. I always needed a ride home.

I winked as I made my way to the front of the class to pull up the PowerPoint for the meeting. My friend and fellow officer, Sanvitha, made her way to my side and pulled me into a hug. "Jaanu, do you think Sunny likes me?" she asked dreamily, casting a look towards him. He was surrounded by 'his boys' talking about the upcoming track meet. 

I'd become used to people asking about Sunny. We weren't the closest of friends, but one thing was for certain, we were friends. It was rare for Sunny to be 'just friends' with any girl. He was a good-looking Indian boy that was athletic and smart. Sunny was a rare commodity, and he knew it. He caught the two girls staring his way and winked at us. I rolled my eyes as Sanvitha sighed.

   As we packed up the meeting, a shadow came over me. I looked up to see Avan smiling down. "Hey, Jaanu."

I smiled and waved, slightly confused.

"What are you doing tonight?"

I could think of a million things I had to do. In fact, I could think of a million things he had to do, but I shook my head. "Uh... nothing. Why?"

"I was thinking we could get dinner. I heard you really like Thai food, and there's this new Thai place-"

I cut him off with a smile. "I'd love to, Avan."

He sighed a sigh of relief. "Oh thank god, I really thought you were into Sunny."

I laughed at this, like a real laugh, while glancing towards Sunny. "Sunny? Hell no." The two of us looked back towards the boy who was currently flexing into the glass reflection and then back at each other. My heart warmed at the sight of Avan's hazel eyes looking into my brown ones and walked with him towards his car.

I quickly shoot Sunny a text:

Looks like I won't be needing a ride after all ;) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So he finally got the courage to ask you out?" Sunny asked as we worked on our English project's script.

"What do you mean 'the courage'?" I narrowed my eyes at him over my laptop. "Sunny, did you know he liked me?!?" I whispered yelled. We were in the library.

He looked at me guiltily and then, with a very serious tone said, "Listen, Jaan- bro code."

I rolled my eyes, "Oh, shut up."

It was silent for a second before I felt a ball of paper hit my forehead. I looked up to glare at Sunny and fought to hide my smile when he mouthed 'sorry' and pouted.

"It's fine. Everything worked out," I whispered as he grinned. I checked my watch, "Oh shit. Sunny, I gotta go. Do you mind giving me a ride home?"

He nodded and grabbed the rest of his stuff. "You know," he said as we left the confines of the library, "you should really be asking your loverboy to be giving you rides. I'm like your boyfriend without the rewards."

I laughed, "Trust me, you don't want the rewards."

He simply smiled at me and shrugged before starting his car. We drove in silence for a bit. When we were a couple of minutes from my house, he cleared his throat. I looked over at the new noise. "So..." he started.

"So..." I mocked.

"I've been wanting to tell you something..."

"So spit it out" I furrowed my eyebrows. Sunny wasn't one to procrastinate or act nervous like this.

"I had sex with Kelly" he grinned. His eyes shined as he glanced my way for approval.

I wasn't sure what to do or say. I'd never had another friend brag to me about losing their virginity. To be perfectly honest, I thought he'd lost his ages ago. "Congrats, Sunny. I'm so happy for you?"

He laughed. "I know, it's weird I'm telling you this, but I'm so freaking happy. I'm telling you, I really am so glad I can tell you about this. You're really just such a good friend" Sunny droned on about the experience, and I, well I wished he knew the definition of TMI.