Decay 11

Breathing seemed nearly impossible as I opened the door. Fear danced down my spine knowing that this was it. If the Head Zombie was indeed here, we were not coming out of this hell until his head was chopped off. Ever so slowly, we entered the building with our weapons ready to go. The lobby looked the same as it did last time we were here. I could still see a few drops of my dry, fallen blood on the marble floor.

"Straight to the top floor. We aren't stopping to check the others." I said in a whisper.

Once everyone nodded, letting me know they understood, we advanced up the stairwell. Zena, Layune, Rand and I were in front. Adam, Dee and Maxine were in the middle. And Teddy, Katie, Andy and Dray covered the back. Some corpses littered the steps, making us step over they're rotting bodies. The stench was almost nauseating.

Stepping over one that looked particularly bad, I stopped when I noticed Zena was no long by my side. As I glance behind me, I saw her bent over one of the bodies poking it.

I shook my head, "Zena what are you doing?"

She looked up with innocent eyes, "What? It's squishy!"

"No way! I want to poke it!" Andy said excitedly.

Just as he was about to go to the corpse, Dee stuck her arm out, "We need to focus."

"She's right," Rand said with a frown.

Again we stalked up the steps until we finally got to the highest floor. The door blocking the entry was closed. There would be no way for us to know exactly what we were heading into. Putting my ear against the door, I listened for noise to indicate if the coast was clear or not. Holding my breath, I listened as moans erupted from the other side.

"They are in there," Adam said in a hushed whisper.

"Indeed," Teddy responded in an equally quiet tone.

We were going to do it. We were finally facing our demons. "On three," I said, "One...Two...Three!" I shouted as I threw open the door and pumped my shot gun. Each of us flowed into the room in the formation of a line. On the opposite side of the large room were about 30 zombies. Each reaching out for us while growling, but never once leaving their designated position. Studying the monsters before us, a dark chuckle graced my ears.

The zombies broke away, leaving a gap down the middle of their formation. Behind them, sat a large oak desk and leather chair in front of a wall of glass. The chair then turned around revealing the man we most despised. His body showed signs of decay, yet he was in no way as mindless or decomposed as the minions in front of him. He seemed more....alive and educated than the other zombies.

"You're the Head Zombie!" Katie exclaimed.

"Yes. Indeed I am, little girl." He said with another rough chuckle.

"Expecting us?" Dray asked pointing his gun at the mass of creatures. The Head Zombie completely ignored the question and slowly advanced towards us. His movements fluid and strong.

"Stay right where you are!" Zena yelled at him once he was about 4 feet away. He now stood directly in front of me. His eyes locked on mine.

"My dear," He said with his sunken eyes glued on me, "I see you are still alive. Pity. I thought that my minions disposed of you when I sent them to attack. Seems that when you want something done correctly, you must do it yourself." He said with an evil grin. A zombie in the room snarled and took a step forward.

"Stay in your place!" The Head Zombie growled at it. The mindless creature scampering back into its place.

I aimed my gun straight at the Head Zombie's cranium, "Why me?"