Decay -Part 2-

Rand's POV

Why? Why was all of this happening? None of this was supposed to happen. The world was not supposed to be a filthy place, where zombie roam freely, consuming all signs of life. Things had progressively gotten worse when Sara got herself bitten. I knew that if we didn't kill the Head Zombie soon, she would become a horrible, deadly monster. If the time came when she turned into one, I would have to kill her. No one else would, they didn't have the back bones to do so. Would I want to kill her? No, of course not; she's been my best friend for as long as I can remember. But you have to do whatever is needed to survive in this world.

We were breathing heavily as we weaved through the city streets. The sun still shining behind gray clouds. It was probably around two or three o' clock. This meant we would be 'safe' for a little while. Ha, safe. If only there were an actual meaning to the word. The streets were deserted and we had no issues finding out destination.

Before we entered the building, I turned around to address everyone. "We need to do this quickly. Watch your backs. We're here to kill The Head Zombie. If any others are in our way, we won't bother with them unless necessary. Understand?"

Everyone nodded in agreement. Holding the doors open, we pushed inside. The place still looked the same. Nothing had changed aside from the few drops of blood on the floor from when we had carried Sara out. I led the way to the steps, pushing away stray papers as I went, and began the climb. A few corpses laid sprawled over the steps, but it wasn't anything to worry about. Instead of checking each floor like we had before, I was going to lead everyone straight to the top. We were going to get in and out like professional assassins. I chuckled. If only "in and out" was that simple.

Zena caught up to me and stood by my side, "We're not checking all of the floors?" She asked me.

"No, there's no point." I replied.

She nodded and returned behind me, ready for any threat. It was strange that we hadn't encountered any zombies yet, but I decided not to dwell upon it. A few minutes later, we came across a very large door with the number 25 painted across it. We'd finally reached the top floor! A part of me wanted to cheer for climbing so many steps, while the other half of me wanted to crawl into bed and pretend this was all a dream. Taking a deep breath, I raised my weapon.

"Get ready." I whispered.

I grasped a hold on the door knob and slowly twisted, while pushing open the door. We all timidly entered the foreign room. The area in front of us looked the same as all of the other floors we had seen. Dirty and disorganized. The floor was checkered tile and a few fake plants hidden in the corners of the room. A large desk faced huge window which overlooked the city. Papers littered the floor as a rat or two ran about. Strangely, there were no zombies. Not a single one! What the hell was going on?

Dray spoke, "Call me crazy, but shouldn't there be a bunch of zombies here, waiting to eat us while their leader watches?"

Katie took Maxine's arm and gently squeezed. "What's going on?"

"I-I'm not sure. This is where they should all be. Why aren't they here?" I stuttered.

"Maybe they just went out hunting?" Andy suggested.

Maxine shook her head. "Maybe, but I highly doubt that. Why would they all leave? Why would their leader leave?"

"She has a point." Teddy said.

"Do you think they're on a different floor?" Zena asked.

"Not likely," I said, "There's no point in staying here. We'll head back outside and check a few of the surrounding buildings."