sixteen - elliot

i pull a baggy hoodie over my head, and shuffle into bed. i yank the covers out from underneath me, only to pull them up to my chin when the cold air bites me.

i fidget a little, finding comfort.

i try to fall asleep; but to no avail. i just can't stop thinking- about someone in particular. and i hated it.

i try to convince myself that i'm simply confused. and that there's no way on earth i could like kai.

but i can't help but think; what if?

i battle my thoughts for hours, turning over and fidgeting. i couldn't find comfort anymore.

i sigh to myself, grabbing my phone from my bedside table. when i turn it on, i give myself time to allow my eyes to adjust to the sudden brightness.

before i have time to think about what i'm doing, i hit 'send' and swallow hard as regret devours me.

'i can't sleep.' is all it read. it was pretty simple- but i hated how clingy i was being toward kai. surely he'd think i'm getting annoying by now.

i contemplate deleting the message, but i don't. instead, i shove my phone in the pocket of my hoodie, and stand up.

goosebumps erupt on my skin as i feel the chilly air creeping it's way through my clothes.

i manage to manoeuvre my way around my bed, towards my window through the darkness. i open it, climbing through it and outside onto the roof of the expanded room below.

if i stomped hard enough, i could get my brother's attention- seeing as the room below mine is jake's. but i'd feel bad, so i settled down onto the old pillow i threw out here a while ago.

see, this used to be my thing. sitting on the rooftop, with blankets and pillows. i loved to watch the stars, and it paid off too, because this would always eventually leave me asleep and content.

just as i'm getting comfortable, i hear a muffled 'ping' and i realise who it could be.

i pull my phone out, reading the message from kai.

'i'll be over in 20.'

i giggle, feeling a sudden strange excitement course through my veins. my giddy behaviour calms down quickly, as my thoughts begin to race.

he doesn't like you.

and with that, i climb back through my window, and into my room. i turn on the lowest setting on my led lights, allowing the faded purple glow it emits.

i quickly neaten up my bedsheet, and smile to myself, tip-toeing downstairs.

it doesn't take long before i hear a set of wheels skid on the porch. i quietly giggle, opening the door.

i watch as kai picks up his skateboard, which is a different one to what i normally see.

i stand aside, letting the boy walk in, and i take in his attire.

he's wearing some kind of t-shirt with lots of colours on, paired with a pair of joggers.

i smile, noticing his messy hair.

we run up to my room, whispering and giggling quietly. somewhat similar to what you'd expect to see at an 8 year old's sleepover.

i take his hand subconsciously, racing past him. he makes a noise, as i pull his arm up. this only makes me giggle more.

i close the door behind me after letting kai in first. a shy smile makes its way onto my lips seeing the boy get comfy under my covers.

i walk past the bed to close my window, and i turn around to see kai propped up on his arm, watching me intently.

my face heats up at this, and i casually get into bed next to him.

i fidget some more next to him, until i feel his arms around me, acting somewhat as a safety net.

kai's familiar scent lingers around me, and i try to ignore the feelings it gives me.

his fingers brushing against my skin makes me feel guilty. it's wrong!

because kai's my friend, and friends don't feel this way.

friends don't crave another's touch.

i feel my eyes slowly closing as my thoughts compete with each other.

oh, i definitely have a crush on kai.

=====

word count: 685
*edited*
please vote!

the next chapter's going to get interesting ;)