three - elliot

i woke up feeling a mixture of emotions. all for different reasons.

i was a little upset that i had already landed myself a detention, and it was only the fourth month in.

i was still angry about being grounded last night, when the school had told my dad about my lateness.

but i was also kind of excited. because today i had an hour's detention with kai.

kai likes to wait for me before class, so if i'm late, he is too. i'm usually only ever a couple minutes late, because of the route i take to school- and leaving earlier never seems to help.

i never really understood why he waits for me. even if i'm later than usual. he could easily get to school on time, (and not have an hour's detention with me today) and in a way, i feel a little guilty.

i used to take another route to school, which would still leave me late, but i'd see kai on my way there. but i had to change this route which meant i never saw him on the way to school anymore.

now, my route takes a bit longer, but it helps me avoid trouble- so i don't really have a choice.

and so i'm very glad that he waits for me by the locker, because otherwise i'd probably never go to school, or i'd probably be in trouble all the time.

=====

i walk into detention, and notice i'm the only person here. i take a seat toward the back windows, and shove in my earphones.

after a few minutes i began thinking that kai wouldn't show. but then i see movement beside me.

i smile at the blonde haired boy beside me, and take out one earphone.

"hey leo." he says casually, "i had to grab my skateboard."

i smile at the nickname he had given me already. it's not unusual for people to call me leo, as it is a shortened version of my name, but for some reason it sounded a lot better coming from kai.

i nod in response and watch the teacher walk in.

kai and i both begin working on the sheets of math they force us to do in detention, and after a while i notice that he's stuck.

"kai, you've been on that question for a while. need help?" i whisper, leaning closer to him.

his cheeks flush pink and he nods, "please."

after i show him that he was missing a step in his algebra equation, he finally got it. he smiled at me, whispering, "thanks, elliot."

once i finish my sheet, i take it to the teacher, and sit back down. i feel kai's eyes on me, so i face him to frown.

"you're finished already?"

i only shrug in response.

"how?" he asks, a strange smile appearing on his face.

i give him a small smile back, "i don't know. i just get math."

at this he goes quiet, turning back to his sheet. i help him a little, writing the answers to some on his sheet as he works on the top questions.

"no, kai." i whisper.

his eyes flick from his paper, to me, then back to his paper again, "huh?"

i stay quiet, as i reach over and cross out a number '4' he had previously written. i replace the number with 6.

he sighs loudly and watches as i circle another number, trying to show him where he went wrong.

i put my pen down and kai stares at his paper for a while longer. he doesn't say a word, but he attempts the last question on his sheet.

he slowly pushes his paper to me after finishing, and i look it over.

i try to remain serious, but i crack a smile after seeing he got it right.

i watch as kai puts his arms in the air, exhaling loudly. i pat him on back, grinning at him.

he takes his paper to the teacher and then we're both dismissed.

kai's almost running out the door, but i take my time. he notices this, and grabs my hand. soon, we're running down the halls, hand-in-hand, giggling like idiots.

=====

word count: 660
*edited*
please vote!