twelve - elliot

i had just finished eating the toast i made when i heard a knock on my door.

i got up, suddenly feeling nervous, but i pushed it aside as i opened the door.

kai stood there, with a grin on his face as he waited. a small smile found it's way to my lips, "hi." is all i could muster out, before i turned around to put my shoes on.

once i got back up, i faced kai again and i made my way outside.

we began walking, but i couldn't keep my eyes off him. as i stole another glance his way, i found him already looking at me.

my heart jumped, but i ignored it. i felt the urge to ask him the question that had been on my mind all morning.

"what happened?" i suddenly asked, out of the blue.

kai's eyes avoided mine, and i slowed down. "kai." i said flatly, waiting for his reply.

"when?" he said, sounding oblivious.

i didn't answer, because he knew exactly what i was talking about. so i huffed, and crossed my arms over my chest.

i watched as he sighed, "i heard people yelling and i got curious."

i didn't say a word, forcing him to continue.

"i found three guys crowded around your brother, so i stepped in. as soon as they saw me, they were all over me. eventually i managed to get them off me, and i ran to help jake."

i stopped walking, as kai did the same. i stepped closer to him, pressing my hand to his cheek, and touching the bruise that formed under his eye overnight. he didn't even wince.

but i felt bad.

a shaky sigh left my lips before i could stop it, and i realised how nervous i was.

"you don't have to worry, leo."

"i do. you got yourself hurt." i replied, quietly.

he almost laughed at this, but instead took my hand and continued walking. why does he keep doing that?

i shook my head and tried to stay calm. but upon realisation of where i was, fear crept it's way through my body.

i dropped kai's hand, and looked around. we were in their part of the neighbourhood. (or, the part of the neighbourhood that they always seemed to catch me in.)

"hey, hey. it's fine." i heard kai say, soothingly. i guessed he knew that this is where they hung around too, because his eyes darted around, looking.

i only shook my head, speeding up.

but then i saw them. just as kai's hand found it's way back into mine.

the three hadn't seen us, but i felt a tug on my arm as kai pulled me behind a fence.

we both looked towards them again. the biggest guy of the trio had bruises all over, and a black eye from what i could see.

"you did that?" i asked him, quietly. taking in the appearance of the other two. who also had bruises and cuts on their faces.

when he didn't respond, i looked over at him. he looked almost...guilty?

kai tugged at my hand again, and soon we were walking through an alley, and away from the group.

"where are we going?" i whispered, not noticing i didn't need to anymore.

kai shrugged, "school."

when he didn't elaborate, i just squeezed his hand, walking faster to catch up to him. i didn't want to lag behind.

when we reached the school building, he dropped my hand. noticing the other students now rushing in.

i quickly check the time on my phone. 8:29am

"kai, we're going to be late, c'mon."

he laughed at this, grabbing my shoulder, "we're always late."

"yeah but today we could be early, and not get a detention." i joked, beginning to walk.

he caught up to me quickly, "what? you don't want another detention with me?"

this caused me to giggle, and shake my head. he rolled his eyes at me and we walked into class, side by side.

at 8:32.

=====

word count: 680
*edited*
please vote!