five - kai

i wake up, putting my arm over my eyes to shield them from the harsh sunlight. i try to sit up, but notice how numb my other arm had gotten. i let my body fall back down, and feel movement beside me.

when turn to see a boy, i almost jump out of my skin.

i study elliot's face. his breaths keep blowing up a lock of hair to the side of his face, so i take my other hand and push it out of his face.

he shivers slightly under my touch, and he slowly opens his eyes. i watch as he frowns, and looks around at first, hardly noticing me. but when he does, his lips form into a little smile.

"good morning." i say, smiling.

he yawns, and then replies, "morning."

we sit in silence for a while, before i decide to get up and get ready. i pull my arm out from under him, and watch as his face turns into a shade of red. i don't remember how my arm ended up underneath him.

i feel my face heating up too, but i look away quickly and stand up.

"what do you wanna eat?" i ask him, still not looking at him.

he takes a while to respond, "i don't mind."

"well, it's noon. so if you get up, we can go out somewhere?" i say, not thinking about it.

but then i do.

will he think i'm asking him on a date? is this a date? i hardly know the boy. even though a small part of my heart wishes i knew him better enough for a real date. this will only be us grabbing lunch.

before i can panic any more, he walks in front of me, nodding.

a small smile spreads across his face and i can see his cheeks turning into that same shade of red as before.

=====

after a little while of getting ready, we decided to leave. it was now 1pm and we were walking along the path, side by side.

i look over at elliot as we walk to the diner a few minutes away from my house. he's wearing the red shirt that i gave him this morning, after he complained about not being about to change.

"did we have homework?" he suddenly asks me, turning to look at me.

at this, i burst out laughing, "really, leo?"

"what?" he says, also giggling.

"i'm the worst person to ask!" i say in between laughter, "and we're literally about to get food."

he doesn't reply to this, instead he carries on giggling like a child.

we soon arrive at the diner, and we take a seat. elliot sits across from me and it makes my heart jump but i don't let it show, instead i push away the thoughts screaming 'date!' and swallow the lump in my throat.

i shake my head and pick up a menu, reading some of the options aloud.

"what are you getting?" he asks, looking up at me.

"burger and fries?" i say, contemplating my order.

he nods, "can i get the same?"

"you can get whatever you want, elliot." i say, hoping he's not just getting the same as me because he's worried or shy.

"i like burgers!" he says, beginning to laugh. i shrug and he puts his arms up defensively. "they're good."

i chuckle at him, saying it was whatever, and wait for someone to take our order.

soon enough, we're telling each other stories, stuffing our faces, complaining about school and laughing at how stupid we are to one another.

"that's bullying!" leo almost yells.

"you're bullying!" i retaliate with a mouth full of fries.

i watch in amusement as he picks up one of his fries and throws it in my direction. however it misses, and almost lands in some old lady's hair sitting behind me.

i laugh even harder, "you suck!" i say. this ending with him throwing another fry- which surprisingly hits me.

"take it back!" he fake cries, pouting.

i grin, "never!"

i pick up one of my own fries. i narrow my eyes at him, and throw it at his head. i quickly pick up my menu, and hide behind it.

i hear elliot gasp loudly, yelling, "ouch!" before giggling again.

"shut up." i say, trying to hide a smile (and failing.)

=====

word count: 710
*edited*
please vote!