fifteen - elliot

i watch as kai paces, explaining what happened and why exactly he chose to pick a fight with those tough guys that tease me.

it's just past five o'clock, and i'm sitting on the railings outside school where people usually prop their bikes, swinging my legs.

"i was thinking about it all through last period, and just thinking about the guy ticked me off!" he said, stopping to look at me.

i huff out a sigh, waiting for him to continue.

"and i saw him in the hall, and something came over me. and- and i just couldn't let him walk away without doing something, li!" he explains, raising his voice, frustrated.

he waits a while, letting himself calm down before adding quietly, "and i hate the way they all make fun of you."

"that's a lot of and's." i say, half-smiling.

he turns around and joins me on the railings, sitting next to me but giving me space.

he fidgets for a while before talking again, "are you mad?"

"i can't be mad at you, kai." i say, shrugging. "i'm just a little upset."

he shuffles closer to me, "i'm sorry."

"i just wish you told me before, or even better, never done it. you could've gotten really hurt, and it's not worth it."

kai hops off the railing, shaking his head. he grabs my arm, and gently pulls me off too.

"don't say that." he says, frowning.

we begin walking in the direction of my house, and i notice soon after that kai's hand keeps brushing my own.

i quickly shove my hands in my pocket upon feeling heat travel up my neck. am i blushing?

i shake the thoughts from my head. or, try to. but it doesn't work, and i find myself getting anxious the more i think about it. there's no way.

"you wanna grab something to eat?" he asks, nudging his shoulder against mine.

i feel the same heat travelling quickly to my cheeks, and i nod, not being able to speak. luckily the sky's beginning to get darker; i can only hope that he didn't see.

eventually we stop next to some pizza place which i've never seen before, and judging by the look on kai's face; neither has he.

he looks at me- i figure for confirmation, so i shrug at him, nodding.

he smiles sheepishly as he grabs my hand to pull me inside. i want to let go, because it's honestly messing with my head. but i don't. instead i smile, looking down.

soon enough, we're sitting down opposite each other, stuffing our faces with the pizza we're sharing.

i put one of my crusts back onto the plate, and watch as kai makes a face at me. i laugh at this, while he shakes his head.

"you baby, the crusts are the best part!" he snickers.

i guiltily shrug at this, "i don't want." i mumble, biting into another piece.

he giggles, and happily takes the parts i didn't eat, feeding them to himself.

from time to time, i catch myself staring at him. whether it be after finishing a slice of pizza, or just when i want to look at something but the plate in front of us. is that supposed to mean something?

i finish the drink of water, and smile in content.

i watch as kai brushes a hand through his hair, and finishes his own pizza slice.

after confirming that we've finished, i let him pay and we walk out.

"i'll pay you back." i say, suddenly feeling bad for letting him do it.

he only laughs at this, and shakes his head.

"you always pay."

he looks at me for a second, before giving me a lopsided grin. "so?"

"so, isn't it my turn to pay for things yet?" i ask, dumbfounded.

i watch as kai pulls a face, "no."

i sigh at this, knowing his stubbornness. and knowing that i won't win this conversation. maybe i could slip a few dollars into his pocket when he's not looking.

"i tutor." he suddenly says, almost out of nowhere.

when i don't respond, he continues, "for money. i'm okay at english. and history...and- some other classes."

he looks down at our feet, "i was going to save up for a car. but recently i've realised that i don't really need one. at least, not now."

"you tutor?" i ask, almost not believing it.

he laughs, "hey! i'm not dumb!"

i put my hands up defensively, "i know! you just, don't usually volunteer to spend time with others."

he doesn't reply, so i carry on, "you hate people, remember?"

he begins laughing at this, as to which i join in. "but money!" he yells, in between breaths.

when the laughter dies down, i watch as kai looks up, and signals to look ahead. so i do, and realise we're at my house.

"well, uh. thank you, kai." i say, sincerely.

he grins at me, before going to turn away. but i stop him, pulling him into a hug. he doesn't respond at first, but when he does, i smile. i feel his arms wrap around me and pull me closer.

and that's when it hits me.

i think i have a crush on kai.

=====

word count: 889
*edited*
please vote!