Untitled Part 7

Charles had hated having to leave Nathalie this morning but he knew it was necessary. He sat in his opulent office and remembered the night before...

"Sleepy" he'd said when he walked in on her sitting on his sofa watching over the pool shimmering in the night

"A bit" Nathalie responded

"I see your Bar-B-Que is here, are you still hungry or would you prefer to be taken to your room"

"I am hungry, I think I would prefer to eat it has been a long day" she smiled that pretty smile, the one he loved a long time ago and knew that he could love again

"Would you like some wine?" he asked as they sat down to dinner. The flavors were strong for him so he stuck to his wine but she'd finished half the bottle and three-quarters of the meal. He enjoyed watching her eat, listening to her talk and laugh. How could he not have known that he missed and needed her so much until now?

"Not bad right!" she exclaimed about her thirty dollars all American Italian Bar-B-Que, he'd had no choice but to agree only for Nathalie to burst into a fit of laughter accusing the king of liking street food.

"Would you care for some entertainment before bed?" he asked her

"Entertainment would be nice"

He went into the sitting room and stoked the fire to warm their conversation, he anticipated the conversation would get serious and so it did

"Charles," Diana said interrupting his thoughts

He turned to face her the weight of Nathalie, their daughter and their future all taking a back seat to the present and the demands of Diana.

"Good morning Mr. Charles Morgan"

"Formal Di, it's not necessary" His feelings conflicted where Diana was concerned. He loved her but not as his feelings had stirred for Nathalie yesterday but she loved him and had many times made that clear. He couldn't stop hurting her and she wouldn't leave him alone.

"So, what were you up to yesterday that you had to leave me to manage an entire company by myself," Diana asked

"Work," he said standing up and walking around the table to greet her. He lifted his hand and lightly brushed the side of her face his fingers brushing her long black hair.

Diana tilted her head into his hand and responded: "I have told you before, too much work and not enough play is never a good combination."

"I can't help myself. Force of habit", Charles said, "something to drink."

"Sure"

Charles turned to walk towards the bar in his office when Diana held his hand leaned in and kissed him she forced her lips against his arched her body and walked into him forcing him to put his hands around her so that she would keep her balance, but instead, he lightly held her hips, pulled his lips away and whispered in her ear, "work first." Charles smiled charitably and continued to the bar.

When Charles got to the bar he poured himself vodka, straight and a gin and orange juice for Diana as she always had. Before he walked back he emptied his glass and poured himself a second finding he might need all the help he could get.

Diana looked up when she heard footsteps coming towards her, "Why so glum, I haven't told you the bad news yet," Said Charles as he put her drink in her hand.

"Oh...I'm just hoping I don't offend you when I close the merger without you"

"Don't get your hopes up" Charles smirked