Chapter 2: The Hospital

I rush down the stairs, stumbling on some steps and almost sending me face first in to them. Apparently I have my energy back. Or lots of adrenaline. Probably lots of adrenaline. Lacey's screaming has stopped by the time I reach the bottom of the stairs. I can't help but wonder what happened to her. Did she fall? No, she screamed to much. Was she scared? No, she screamed to much. She must of gotten really hurt.

I struggle to find the location of Lacey, because my mind is all foggy from my tiredness. I finally find her laying in the Living Room on her side, with blood gushing out of a ugly wound. What do I do? Panic. "Mum!" I scream. "Mum! Help!" Mum doesn't come rushing down the stairs. She must be out. But that makes me panic anymore. How and I am supposed to care with this by myself? 

I'm freaking out, tears dribbling down my cheek. I decide to examine the wound a see how bad it really is.. The wound was definitely done by a human. A knife, I think. The cut is quite deep and bloody, and is planted in her right abover her waist. But who would do this to Lacey? Who would do this to a 6 year old?

The same terrible question bounces around and around in my head again and again:

Is Lacey going to die?

Its a bad thing to think about. A terrible, terrible thought. Lacey is my everything. My best friend, my life. She helps me. But to imagine her in a hospital bed is....horrifying. Its hurts to think of Lacey dead.

I snap in to realization and realize that there is someone that can help. I snatch the phone from where it is charging and type in a number. 911. The ambulance soon arrives. and takes I and Lacey to the hospital. During the ride, a Bob(that's my nickname for him) questions me. "Wheres your Mom?"

"I don't know."

"How did she get hurt?"

"Her name is Lacey, and I don't know."

"Were you on the same floor as-er- Lacey when she was attacked?"

"No."

"Whats your Mom's name?"

"Emma Williams."

"Whats your Dads'?"

"Brad Williams."

"Any other siblings?" this question gets me tounge tied. I do have one sibling. But he ran away.

"Um...yes. One." It hurts to think of my kind older brother, Brad Williams Jr. He ran away at the age of sixteen and never ever cam back.

"Whats his or her name?"

"His. Brad Williams Jr." I hear Bob mutter something like 'Not a very creative name.' and I get to feel annoyed. Now Bob gets me in my bad mood.

"Could you give me anyway to contacy these family members?"

"No!" I say crossly. Really, I'm not lying either.

"Excuse me?" Bob looks confused and shocked.

"My Dad is in the hospital, my brother...well, we don't have any way to contact him any more, and my Mum..." I guess I could give Bob our home number, but last time I checked, she wasen't at home.

"And your Mom...?"

"And my Mum might be at home, but if she isn't, theres no way of contacting her."

"No cell phone?"

"No cell phone." I remember trying to convince Mum to buy a phone, but she wasen't convinced she would use. She said she diden't need one. Well now she does. 

Bob grimaced. "Well, then, give me your home number, please." I give Bob all the informartion he asks for and once we reach the hospital, I get to sit outside of Lacey's room, and be asked more questions. I really, badly want to scream at these people to leave me alone, but I know there just trying to help, so I scream inside my head instead, "LEAVE ME ALONE PEOPLE!" 

One nurse pushing a young lady in a wheelchair notices my droopy eyelids. "You tired, miss?" I simply nod my head. "You don;t look so well either. I suggest you get some shut eye, miss." And I simply nod my head again, and the nurse continues her way down the hall. The thing is, she doesn't realize I can't sleep. If I do sleep, the nightmares begin, and I don't want to wake up in the hospital screaming my head off. Everybody'd panic, thinking its one if the patients, not one of the relatives of the patient. So I force my eyelids to stay up after imagining myself screaming in the hospital and everybody panicing. And what did that exactly look like? Well, I can tell you, it diden't look pretty.

Finally, the nurses and doctors let me see Lacey. I ask the question that as been nagging at me since Lacey was injured, "Is she going to...die?" I whisper it, and assume no one heard because I don't get an answer. Or maybe there afraid to answer. Maybe they've got bad news, and they don't want to answer so they don't scare me. But I think I deserve to know whats going to happen to Lacey. Correction. I need to know. So I ask again, "Is she going to die?" this time I say it more firmly, and I'm sure the doctors and nurses heard me, because there eyes all trailed to me for a second, then back to Lacey. But still no answer. "Is she going to die!?" this one is literally a scream. One of the doctors stares in to my eyes, his own full of sorrow. "Most likely," he whispers. "But will do everything in our power to prevent it." I try to breath slowly and steadily, and I try not to let the tears not pour, but yet, that is not something I can accomplish, and they start creeping down my cheeks, and as they start creeping down my cheeks, I am pushed out of the room, to cry on my own.