Bye School Chapter 4

" And so we've reached the end of another school year. " I lay my head on my desk in boredom as our principal talks over the intercom. I just want to go home. " Fruit loop? " I roll my eyes and look up. " Ten months of learning, growth, and yes hopefully, a little bit of fun. But the journey that we began in September, does not end today. I look over at Greg and Andre. They're both staring at Nancy. Wow. Shocker. " For education, is a process that does not begin and end on some set schedule-" The bell rings and everyone runs out of the class rooms. " Please return to your seats-Dang it! You do this everyday! And this was my favorite shirt from when I was twelve! " 

I giggle and grab my bag. I hurry out to the hall to find the girls. They're younger than me. It kind of sucks sometimes.

They laugh and hug each other before moving aside for Kiethie's bully to walk past. Kiethie stays frozen and he slaps the books out of Kiethie's hands. I walk over to him. 

" Oh grow up. " I pick up the books and hand them back to Kiethie. " You are such a child. " I say loudly as I look at Kiethie's bully. " No wonder you got held back a year. " I brush past him and walk outside. 

I look for Greg and Andre. I spot them by the buses and hurry over to them. " Hey dudes. " I smile at Braden. " Hey Braden. " 

" Max. " 

" So, is your guys's dad picking you up? " Andre asks. 

" Uh, I don't know. " Braden looks at me. I shrug. 

" I usually take the bus. " I look at the big yellow school bus. 

" I told him it was cool if he stayed later at the soup kitchen, so it's kind of on me. " 

" Soup kitchen? " I ask furrowing my eyebrows. " I didn't know he was volunteering at the soup kitchen. " 

Braden shrugs and Andre looks back at the bus. " You could come ride with us on the bus. " 

" Nah. How about we do something fun. Something we're not supposed to. " His eyes widen with excitement. 

I get a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. We could get in trouble. We could get hurt. Anything could happen. 

The boys decide to do what Braden wants to do, so I'm dragged along. Yay.