THIS SUMMER | CHAPTER XVII : He Remembered Everything

It was 6 A.M. now, and the sun was rising. Theo was parked across from the big, blue sign, leaning on his white Jeep, waiting for Cleopatra. He had been stationed there, patiently, all night long. He was almost certain now that she wouldn't show; it was much too late, or rather, too early, and he was beginning to think he had lost her for good. He didn't know how he'd recover from this, but his inner optimist kept pushing him to stay, to wait, rather than get in his Jeep and drive it home, or more likely right off a cliff. But when his eyes landed on long dark hair whipping in the faraway wind, and a pretty white dress rounding the corner, his heart began beating faster than it ever had before in his natural born life.

Cleopatra Callas stopped at the quiet intersection, feasting her eyes on the small shipping town's signage before keeling over and catching her breath. She looked up again and realized in her hysteria that she had completely glazed over the parked white Jeep across the way.

He was stunned to see her, frozen, looking as though he were hit by a bolt of lightning. His wildest dreams were coming alive right before him, and it was almost too much to take. Cleo straightened up, catching her breath. Then she laughed and smiled, and it was the most beautiful smile Theo Dimitriou ever saw.

A smile to warm even the coldest of hearts.

She crossed the intersection. Their hearts were beating wildly. This was the precipice, and Cleo was finally jumping.

This was her leap of faith.

"Come, get in." Theo said to her, his eyes locked on hers. He pulled open the car door. "I have something to show you."

Their drive lasted only a few minutes, and Cleopatra cradled Theo's big, warm hand in her lap as they rode. Every now and then he would give her thigh a little squeeze of excitement. They were both in disbelief, both trepidatious, both out-of-this-world overwhelmed. Cleo still didn't know where they were headed, but she didn't feel the need to ask.

She trusted him.

The Jeep pulled up to a property on the mountain, walled off with white brick and a gate painted gold. It was majestic and beautiful, and as the Jeep passed the open gates Cleo began counting the orchards they drove through, nearing a little white villa overlooking the valley and ocean beyond it.

A little white villa with pretty yellow rose vines.

Theo parked his car and disembarked. Cleo hopped out of the car as well. She turned to look upon him.

"Where are we?"

He approached her and inhaled deeply, nervously, a wide and beautiful smile on his face.

"I bought this house last week, and planted the roses two days ago." He confessed. Cleo's heart began to race. "I've been working on finding one for quite some time, just looking for months because I wanted it to be right, and I finally found the perfect one."

Theo looked over at the villa, and then back at Cleopatra again.

"It's not finished," she heard Theo tell her as she gazed upon the house in awe. "But it's definitely a start."

"You remembered." She told him

"Of course I remembered." He said. "I remember everything. And I knew these roses were the most important part."

Cleopatra shook her head at him, grinning so wide she may as well have laughed. There was nothing but joy in her heart now.

"Wrong." Cleo said to him, smiling up at him through her tears. "You were."

Theo's eyes softened at her words, and his stomach began to flutter nervously. He suddenly grew serious, and took her hand.

To Theo, this was the most important part.

"That night at the hotel, I didn't say I wanted to marry you. I didn't say it because these would be just words. I wanted to show you, Cleopatra, that I am... how do you say it? All in." He took her face in his hands, kissing the tears that fell from her cheeks. "I bought this for you. For us," He told her resolutely. "If you will have me."

Cleopatra pulled him down into her arms and kissed him, a kiss of a thousand promises, and found that, for the first time in what felt like forever, she wasn't afraid.

THE END | JUST THE BEGINNING.